Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Lenny backports installation of one package only (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/436996-lenny-backports-installation-one-package-only.html)

Bob Proulx 10-07-2010 08:28 PM

Lenny backports installation of one package only
 
Russell Gadd wrote:
> I am trying to update my iceweasel via Lenny backports but it wants to also
> update my gnucash which I don't want. What am I doing wrong?
>
> I follow the instructions as follows:
> Add backports to sources.list (actually added a file to sources.list.d). It
> shows up in Synaptic repositories so looks ok

What is in your /etc/apt/preferences file?

What is the relative versions shown here:

$ apt-cache policy gnucash

Because backports is set up with a repository pinning of
"NotAutomatic: yes" in the Release file it shouldn't be wanting to
upgrade your existing packages automatically. Here is a reference.
Personally I set up /etc/apt/preferences as specified.

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2

But if gnucash is newer than Lenny but older than backports then it
will fall into the case where it will want to upgrade to the newer
version in backports.

Bob

Russell Gadd 10-07-2010 08:43 PM

Lenny backports installation of one package only
 
Thanks Bob. I'm having some trouble with parts of your response as follows:
*
What is in your /etc/apt/preferences file?



I don't have such a file in /etc/apt
*

What is the relative versions shown here:



*$ apt-cache policy gnucash

# apt-cache policy gnucash
gnucash:
* Installed: 2.2.6-2
* Candidate: 2.2.6-2
* Version table:
**** 2.2.9-7~bpo50+1 0
********* 1 http://backports.debian.org lenny-backports/main Packages

**** 2.2.6-2 0
******* 500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Packages
******* 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
*



Because backports is set up with a repository pinning of

"NotAutomatic: yes" in the Release file it shouldn't be wanting to

upgrade your existing packages automatically. *Here is a reference.

What reference?
*


Personally I set up /etc/apt/preferences as specified.



*http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2


I can't see any reference to preferences in this site
(sorry if I'm missing something obvious)
*


But if gnucash is newer than Lenny but older than backports then it

will fall into the case where it will want to upgrade to the newer

version in backports.


Sorry don't understand this.

Please bear with my ignorance and thanks for the help.

Russell

Roman Khomasuridze 10-07-2010 08:46 PM

Lenny backports installation of one package only
 
if you want to upgrade only iceweasel, then run*apt-get install iceweasel/lenny-backports
by this, apt will try to install iceweasel from backports but will try to match its dependencies from lenny. it worked for me...

Regards---------------------Roman
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

Russell Gadd wrote:

> I am trying to update my iceweasel via Lenny backports but it wants to also

> update my gnucash which I don't want. What am I doing wrong?

>

> I follow the instructions as follows:

> Add backports to sources.list (actually added a file to sources.list.d). It

> shows up in Synaptic repositories so looks ok



What is in your /etc/apt/preferences file?



What is the relative versions shown here:



*$ apt-cache policy gnucash



Because backports is set up with a repository pinning of

"NotAutomatic: yes" in the Release file it shouldn't be wanting to

upgrade your existing packages automatically. *Here is a reference.

Personally I set up /etc/apt/preferences as specified.



*http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2



But if gnucash is newer than Lenny but older than backports then it

will fall into the case where it will want to upgrade to the newer

version in backports.



Bob


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)



iEYEARECAAYFAkyuLXoACgkQ0pRcO8E2ULZuMgCffDBosPPBhQ xuRDx+YD7gI9ol

rPoAn1g81sRJkJ26O2Gcd9854kijBKDI

=uhY3

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Bob Proulx 10-07-2010 09:07 PM

Lenny backports installation of one package only
 
Russell Gadd wrote:
> Thanks Bob. I'm having some trouble with parts of your response as follows:
>
>
> > What is in your /etc/apt/preferences file?
> I don't have such a file in /etc/apt

Okay. It was possible that you did and the contents there would
affect what was offered for installation.

> > What is the relative versions shown here:
> > $ apt-cache policy gnucash
>
> # apt-cache policy gnucash
> gnucash:
> Installed: 2.2.6-2
> Candidate: 2.2.6-2

You have 2.2.6-2 and 2.2.6-2 (same version) is the available candidate.

> Version table:
> 2.2.9-7~bpo50+1 0
> 1 http://backports.debian.org lenny-backports/main Packages
> *** 2.2.6-2 0
> 500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That looks okay to me. It doesn't seem like it should be offering to
upgrade gnucash from backports based upon the above.

> > Because backports is set up with a repository pinning of
> > "NotAutomatic: yes" in the Release file it shouldn't be wanting to
> > upgrade your existing packages automatically. Here is a reference.
>
> What reference?

This reference. The reference I included.

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2

Here are the contents of that URL:

http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2

Get packages upgraded from backports.debian.org (Recommended!)

Normally packages won't get upgraded automatically from
backports.debian.org (due to the NotAutomatic flag). To get packages
that you have installed from backports automatically updated you
have to have add a pinning, either to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

This setting is recommended Without this setting you don't get
security updates

I normally set up my /etc/apt/preferences as described there. Those
three lines in /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

> > But if gnucash is newer than Lenny but older than backports then it
> > will fall into the case where it will want to upgrade to the newer
> > version in backports.
> >
> > Sorry don't understand this.

The apt-cache policy shows gnucash to be the same version as what is
in Lenny. So my comment about /if/ it is newer than Lenny does not
apply.

I would try first one then the other:

1. Use Roman Khomasuridze's suggestion:
> if you want to upgrade only iceweasel, then run
> apt-get install iceweasel/lenny-backports
> by this, apt will try to install iceweasel from backports but will try to
> match its dependencies from lenny. it worked for me...

2. Install the /etc/apt/preferences file as recommended. That will
change the pinning rules.

Bob


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.