-   -   iceweasel sometimes shows "untitled" when enter url (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/436827-iceweasel-sometimes-shows-untitled-when-enter-url.html)

yuanwei xu 10-07-2010 02:30 PM

iceweasel sometimes shows "untitled" when enter url

Hello,
In this week,after iceweasel is started,it shows "Looking up www.google.com" in the status bar,but it doesn't connect to the home page,just shows "(untitled)".It also happens when I open link in new tab or iceweasel failed to refresh page to the new link I clicked in the current page.

This problem is very often.What may cause it?
Iceweasel version is 3.5.13 on Debian squeeze.

Camaleón 10-08-2010 03:59 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 22:30:40 +0800, yuanwei xu wrote:

> In this week,after iceweasel is started,it shows "Looking up
> www.google.com<http://www.xxx.com>"
> in the status bar,but it doesn't connect to the home page,just shows
> "(untitled)".It also happens when I open link in new tab or iceweasel
> failed to refresh page to the new link I clicked in the current page.
> This problem is very often.What may cause it? Iceweasel version is
> 3.5.13 on Debian squeeze.

It seems to me that you are experiencing some kind of network "hiccup"
that prevents your computer connecting to Internet.

When Icewasel cannot establish a connection (or receives a "time out" or
loads the "about:blank" page) it can display "Untitled" at the status bar
(I guess it just gathers the <title></title> tag of the page, if none,
shows that "Untitled" banner).

I would investigate your network glitches, the "untitled" text sounds
like a "cosmetic" issue.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

yuanwei xu 10-13-2010 02:48 PM

iceweasel sometimes shows "untitled" when enter url

Camaleón,** *Thanks for your reply.Today the problem became much worse: none website can be connected in iceweasel,all turn out to be "(Untitled)".So i tried to install chromium through aptitude,and it works normally.This mail is wrote on it.
It seems it's a good idea to have another browser as a back-up.

Lisi 10-13-2010 04:37 PM

On Wednesday 13 October 2010 15:48:46 yuanwei xu wrote:
> Camaleón,
> Thanks for your reply.Today the problem became much worse: none website
> can be connected in iceweasel,all turn out to be "(Untitled)".
> So i tried to install chromium through aptitude,and it works normally.This
> mail is wrote on it.
> It seems it's a good idea to have another browser as a back-up.

I am running Lenny. I have tried previously and have just tried again.
<aptitude show chromium> comes up with a game not a browser??

What is the name of the browser in Lenny? Or is it simply not there?

Lisi

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 10-13-2010 04:40 PM

iceweasel sometimes shows "untitled" when enter url

What is the name of the browser in Lenny? Or is it simply not there?

chromium-browser

--
Micro Credo:
Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Archive: 20101013134010.16782p25571bgfeo@mail.kalinowski.co m.br">http://lists.debian.org/20101013134010.16782p25571bgfeo@mail.kalinowski.co m.br

Frank 10-13-2010 04:44 PM

iceweasel sometimes shows "untitled" when enter url

Paul Cartwright 10-13-2010 04:49 PM

On Wed October 13 2010, Lisi wrote:
> I am running Lenny. *I have tried previously and have just tried again. *
> <aptitude show chromium> comes up with a game not a browser??
>
> What is the name of the browser in Lenny? *Or is it simply not there?

paulandcilla:/etc/cron.daily# aptitude show google-chrome-stable
Unable to find an archive "lenny" for the package "google-chrome-stable"
Package: google-chrome-stable
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 6.0.472.63-r59945
Section: net
Maintainer: Chrome Linux Team <chrome-linux-packager@google.com>
Uncompressed Size: 74.8M
Depends: ca-certificates, libasound2, libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.13.2), libbz2-1.0,
libc6
(>= 2.6-1), libcairo2 (>= 1.4.0), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0),
libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2.1), libgconf2-4,
libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libjpeg62,
libnspr4-0d (>= 4.7.1), libnss3-1d (>= 3.12.3), libpango1.0-0 (>=
1.18.3), libpng12-0, libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libxslt1.1, libxss1,
lsb-base (>= 3.2), wget, xdg-utils (>= 1.0.1), zlib1g (>=
1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-1)
PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.14.0)
Conflicts: google-chrome
Replaces: google-chrome
Provides: google-chrome
Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated
technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Camaleón 10-13-2010 05:06 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:48:46 +0800, yuanwei xu wrote:

> Camaleón,
> Thanks for your reply.Today the problem became much worse: none
> website
> can be connected in iceweasel,all turn out to be "(Untitled)". So i
> tried to install chromium through aptitude,and it works normally.This
> mail is wrote on it.
> It seems it's a good idea to have another browser as a back-up.

There is also "Epiphany" or "w3m" :-)

Back to your problem with Iceweasel... if you can browse the web with
another browser, then Icewasel also should work.

Are you using any proxy seetings for your connection? Have you tried by
disabling "ipv6" in Iceweasel?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón