Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Johan Scheepers

Default Debian 506 not supporting ext4

Good day,

I am new to debian 506 ** not ** opensuse and ubuntu.

Installed yesterday for evaluating

My backup usb drive is ext4.

Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?

Thanks
Johan

Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 PM
"Eric KOM"

> Good day,
>
> I am new to debian 506 ** not ** opensuse and ubuntu.

You are a welcome.

ext4 FS was not yet included in Lenny by the Debian Installer, but to use
it, please maybe this wiki can help you:
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#For_people_who_are_running_Debian.
ext4 is supported by the next version "Squeeze" ; but not as a default FS,
so the default it's still ext3.

> Installed yesterday for evaluating
>
> My backup usb drive is ext4.
>
> Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?
>
> Thanks
> Johan

Yours truly,
Eric KOM
110 LAWN STREET ROSETTENVILLE
2190
JOHANNESBURG
SOUTH AFRICA

E-mail: erickom@namekom.co.za
Websites: www.erickom.co.za | www.namekom.co.za/erickom | www.namekom.co.za

Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 07 October 2010 11:27:50 Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?

Use Squeeze? Though there may well also be a way of installing it in Lenny.
Perhaps from back-ports?

Lisi

Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Sven Hoexter

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:27:50PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:

Hi,

> I am new to debian 506 ** not ** opensuse and ubuntu.
>
> Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?

You need at least a new kernel (IIRC 2.6.30+), backports.d.o
provides 2.6.32. See http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

For mounting that should be enough. For creating/fscking etc. you
might need some new e2fsprogs aswell but I'm not sure on that part.

Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM
"Eric KOM"

> On Thursday 07 October 2010 11:27:50 Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?
>
> Use Squeeze? Though there may well also be a way of installing it in
> Lenny.
> Perhaps from back-ports?

no in the backports, because the kernel at that moment didn't support it.
you can follow this debian link http://wiki.debian.org/Ext4.
For the newbies it's very hard to do it:
compilation kernel >= 2.6.28,
installation of some dependencies.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Johan

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 15:25 +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:27:50PM +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I am new to debian 506 ** not ** opensuse and ubuntu.
> >
> > Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?
>
> You need at least a new kernel (IIRC 2.6.30+), backports.d.o
> provides 2.6.32. See http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
>
> For mounting that should be enough. For creating/fscking etc. you
> might need some new e2fsprogs aswell but I'm not sure on that part.
>
> Sven
> --
> And I don't know much, but I do know this:
> With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.
> [ Streetlight Manifesto - Here's To Life ]

This now is beyond me.
Thanks
Johan

Old 10-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Johan

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 15:28 +0200, Eric KOM wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 October 2010 11:27:50 Johan Scheepers wrote:
> >> Please is there an easy way to make debian support ext4?
> >
> > Use Squeeze? Though there may well also be a way of installing it in
> > Lenny.
> > Perhaps from back-ports?
> >
> no in the backports, because the kernel at that moment didn't support it.
> you can follow this debian link http://wiki.debian.org/Ext4.
> For the newbies it's very hard to do it:
> compilation kernel >= 2.6.28,
> installation of some dependencies.
>
> > Lisi
> >

> > --

> Yours truly,
> Eric KOM
> 110 LAWN STREET ROSETTENVILLE
> 2190
> JOHANNESBURG
> SOUTH AFRICA
>
> E-mail: erickom@namekom.co.za
> Websites: www.erickom.co.za | www.namekom.co.za/erickom | www.namekom.co.za

Correct beyond me.
Thanks
Johan

Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Sven Hoexter

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 07:04:12PM +0200, Johan wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 15:25 +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:

> > You need at least a new kernel (IIRC 2.6.30+), backports.d.o
> > provides 2.6.32. See http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
> >
> This now is beyond me.

Well then the hint to try out Squeeze might be the best way to go
for you.

Sven