Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Long Wind

Default what will happen if CPU overheat

I have a P3/550, slot 1
the cpu fan is noisy, so I remove it
but I am not sure about heat sink

What will happen if CPU overheat?
What damage will be done to other computer parts?

BTW how effective is a fan?
If max room temperature is 35 degrees for a CPU with a fan,
then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Lars Kuppert

What damage will be done to other computer parts?

BTW how effective is a fan?
If max room temperature is 35 degrees for a CPU with a fan,
then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

PUT BACK THE FAN!!!
IMMEDIATELY! YOU WOULD GIVE A CLIMATE DAMAGE TO ALL OF US! NO MORE
WINTER's!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Jochen Schulz

Long Wind:

> I have a P3/550, slot 1
> the cpu fan is noisy, so I remove it
> but I am not sure about heat sink
>
> What will happen if CPU overheat?

If you are lucky: the CPU switches off the system before any damage is
done. If you are not so lucky, the CPU will die. If you have bad luck,
it will damage the motherboard, too.

> BTW how effective is a fan?

That obviously depends on the fan.

> If max room temperature is 35 degrees for a CPU with a fan,
> then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

I don't get the question. But what you need to know is: do not remove
fans from CPUs unless you really know what you are doing (or if you
don't care about the hardware).

I would start by googling for "passive cooling p3 slot" or something to
that effect.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Angus Hedger

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 07:38:51 -0400
Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a P3/550, slot 1
> the cpu fan is noisy, so I remove it
> but I am not sure about heat sink
>
> What will happen if CPU overheat?
> What damage will be done to other computer parts?
>
> BTW how effective is a fan?
> If max room temperature is 35 degrees for a CPU with a fan,
> then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

Install lm-sensors it should tell you the cpu temp, and the max.

Once its installed, run

# sensors-detect

and follow the instructions, once thats done, run

$ sensors

If it gets to hot, normally it will under-clock itself or the system
will shutdown.

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Nick Jones

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 at 07:38:51 -0400, Long Wind wrote:
> I have a P3/550, slot 1 the cpu fan is noisy, so I remove it but I am
> not sure about heat sink

Buy a new fan

> What will happen if CPU overheat?
> What damage will be done to other computer parts?

It'll crash. No damage to other parts, save from the reduction in your
CPUs lifespan from it overheating repeatedly. Given how old P3/550s are
now though, you've almost certainly had your money's worth already.

> BTW how effective is a fan? If max room temperature is 35 degrees for
> a CPU with a fan, then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan
> is removed?

Effective enough to stop your machine from crashing under load, I
suspect.

--

-Nick

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Long Wind

On 10/7/10, Angus Hedger <demidevil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Install lm-sensors it should tell you the cpu temp, and the max.
>
> Once its installed, run
>
> # sensors-detect
>
> and follow the instructions, once thats done, run
>
> $ sensors
>
> If it gets to hot, normally it will under-clock itself or the system
> will shutdown.
>
> ------
> Regards,
>
> Angus Hedger
>
> Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

I am afraid lm-sensors depends on BIOS for info about CPU
I have browse BIOS menu, have not found any CPU monitoring info

Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 13:38, Long Wind <longwind2009@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a P3/550, slot 1
> the cpu fan is noisy, so I remove it
> but I am not sure about heat sink
>
> What will happen if CPU overheat?
> What damage will be done to other computer parts?

You'll just ruin the CPU, nothing else. I've ruined a few of them.

> BTW how effective is a fan?

Very. There is no "passive cooling", nothing is cooling that CPU
without the fan.

> If max room temperature is 35 degrees for a CPU with a fan,
> then, max will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

It doesn't matter if the room is 0 degrees. No fan -> burnt CPU. End
of discussion. Especially with a power-drainer such as a PIII.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 PM
John Hasler

Lars Kuppert writes:
> NO MORE WINTER's!

When I think about feeding forty horses before sunrise every morning
that doesn't sound so bad...
--
John Hasler

Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Long Wind

On 10/7/10, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> I don't get the question. But what you need to know is: do not remove
> fans from CPUs unless you really know what you are doing (or if you
> don't care about the hardware).
>
> I would start by googling for "passive cooling p3 slot" or something to
> that effect.
>
> J.
> --
> I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
> immensely.
> [Agree] [Disagree]
> <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

maybe my English isn't good enough, I mean:

if maximum temperature of PC's environment is 35 degrees
then, maximum will be decreased by how much if the fan is removed?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Klistvud