-   -   "page allocation failure" errors (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/436332-page-allocation-failure-errors.html)

Raj Kiran Grandhi 10-06-2010 01:25 PM

"page allocation failure" errors

Hello,

My debian stable system has been spewing "page allocation failure"
errors since the past few months. I have attached a sample error log.
This does not occur too frequently. Sometimes, my system functions
normally for several weeks before these errors crop up. When they do, my
system is brought to its knees swapping furiously. Many times, a hard
reset was the only option.

Google led me to bugs 533180 and 572932 but I am not sure if my problem
is due to those. Both the stock lenny kernel as well as the backports
kernel give these messages. How do I go about identifying the source of
these errors? How do I determine if it is a hardware issue or a software
one? BTW memtest did not report anything.

My system is an AMD 64bit dual core, dual processor with 8GB ram and an
Nvidia graphics card with the proprietary driver. I had been running
lenny stable since its release without any issues.

Thank you,
Raj Kiran