Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Nick Douma

Default Central configuration storage

Old 10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
"Karl E. Jorgensen"

Hi!

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 16:38 +0200, Nick Douma wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to store configuration files in a central
location. My first guess was to look at LDAP, and see if you can use
that for keeping track of configuration. The intended setup is a farm
of webservers, database servers and the like, on Debian and Windows
machines. The point is to keep the configuration in a central
location, so we can easily keep track of it and keep it seperated from
the servers themselves. The final goal is to be able to more easily
add new servers to the farm, that all serve the same data via
loadbalancing.

Is LDAP a suitable solution for the above problem? I started with
looking for a LDAP configuration storage method for Apache 2, but
didn't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or
maybe give me a starting point.

Depends on what configuration you want to store....

--

Karl E. Jřrgensen

Geek

Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Ron Johnson

I'm looking for a solution to store configuration files in a central location. My first guess was to look at LDAP, and see if you can use that for keeping track of configuration. The intended setup is a farm of webservers, database servers and the like, on Debian and Windows machines. The point is to keep the configuration in a central location, so we can easily keep track of it and keep it seperated from the servers themselves. The final goal is to be able to more easily add new servers to the farm, that all serve the same data via loadbalancing.

Is LDAP a suitable solution for the above problem? I started with looking for a LDAP configuration storage method for Apache 2, but didn't find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or maybe give me a starting point.

What about a sccs?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CAB6028.3090800@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB6028.3090800@cox.net

Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Rob McBroom

On Oct 5, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Nick Douma wrote:

> I'm looking for a solution to store configuration files in a central location. My first guess was to look at LDAP, and see if you can use that for keeping track of configuration.

Have a look at Puppet. I use LDAP to store information about systems, and then based on that information, Puppet pushes out (or modifies) configuration files, among other things. (LDAP support is built-in, so long as you add an objectClass and a couple of attributes to your schema.)

http://www.puppetlabs.com/

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Gilles Mocellin

Le mardi 05 octobre, Rob McBroom écrivit :

> On Oct 5, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Nick Douma wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a solution to store configuration files in a central location. My first guess was to look at LDAP, and see if you can use that for keeping track of configuration.
>
> Have a look at Puppet. I use LDAP to store information about systems, and then based on that information, Puppet pushes out (or modifies) configuration files, among other things. (LDAP support is built-in, so long as you add an objectClass and a couple of attributes to your schema.)

Yes, I suggest also puppet.
It is far secure to have files on each servers, and have a something
keeping them updated.
Imagine if your LDAP server stops, even with slaves, I won't bet...

I see one problem, you speak about Windows...and there, puppet does not
support it (yet ?).
I think cfengine can support somewhat Windows.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Hi, Nick:

On Tuesday 05 October 2010 16:38:28 Nick Douma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a solution to store configuration files in a central
> location. My first guess was to look at LDAP, and see if you can use that
> for keeping track of configuration. The intended setup is a farm of
> webservers, database servers and the like, on Debian and Windows machines.

Forget about that: Windows configuration management will need to go its own
way, and everything else will probably be able to share common procedures.

> The point is to keep the configuration in a central location, so we can
> easily keep track of it and keep it seperated from the servers themselves.
> The final goal is to be able to more easily add new servers to the farm,
> that all serve the same data via loadbalancing.

The answer is obvious then; you should use a tiered solution with the
following "bricks":
1) Automated installation (maybe FAI)
2) Configuration management (the likes of Puppet or CFengine)
3) Deployment orchestration (things like Controltier)

> Is LDAP a suitable solution for the above problem? I started with looking
> for a LDAP configuration storage method for Apache 2, but didn't find
> anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or maybe give me a
> starting point.

Make a Google search about "devops" and see documents like this one:
http://dev2ops.org/storage/downloads/FullyAutomatedProvisioning_Whitepaper.pdf

Cheers.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Nick Douma

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Nacer Adamou Saidou

Hi,
I tested puppet coupled with a version management system (git for me).
Seems pretty good for linux servers only. I don't know for windows servers.

Cheers