Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
#ZHAO LINA#

Default acroread and iceweasel

*Hi,

When I tried to use acroread my.pdf

it showed me,

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

It's not the main point cause it's no problem view the pdf, the main issue was that,

When I opened pdf in the iceweasel, it showed me nothing even I waited pretty long. A compromise way to solve it was to restart the iceweasel and it only worked once, when the second pdf opened, it still was blank, so no choice but to restart it again. Any
advise about this?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

lina

Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 13:44 +0000, #ZHAO LINA# wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I tried to use acroread my.pdf
> it showed me,
>
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module
> "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
>
> It's not the main point cause it's no problem view the pdf, the main
> issue was that,
>
> When I opened pdf in the iceweasel, it showed me nothing even I waited
> pretty long. A compromise way to solve it was to restart the iceweasel
> and it only worked once, when the second pdf opened, it still was
> blank, so no choice but to restart it again. Any advise about this?
>
> Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
>
> lina

I have experienced the same thing with the pdf plugin. It works the
first time and fails every subsequent time until restarting the browser.
That's why we uninstalled it - John

Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
#ZHAO LINA#

It's pretty annoying especially when sometimes you need a bunch of papers.

I cannot uninstall it, can somesome provide some solutions?

Or anyone who works fine to open the pdf within iceweasel time and time again would love to share how they handle it. I did not encounter that problem before when I used firefox.

Thanks,

lina

Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
#ZHAO LINA#

Is it okay to install the firefox side by side with iceweasles? I mean, at the same time.

Curious,

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello List !

On 05/10/10 22:24, #ZHAO LINA# wrote:

It's pretty annoying especially when sometimes you need a bunch of papers.

I cannot uninstall it, can somesome provide some solutions?

what John certainly meant is to uninstall the `mozilla-acroread' package ONLY.
If you do so, when you will try to read a PDF file from iceweasel,
iceweasel will ask you either to read in acroread directly (or in a viewer of you choice)
or to save teh PDF file. This is certainly the best option until Adobe offers a 64 bits Linux
version of acroread.

Or anyone who works fine to open the pdf within iceweasel time and time again would love to share how they handle it. I did not encounter that problem before when I used firefox.

have you migrated from i386 to amd64 recently ?

hth,
Jerome

Thanks,

lina

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit-at+rezozer*dot_net

Archive: 4CAB3B04.4050906@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB3B04.4050906@rezozer.net

Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Ron Johnson

It's always "just worked" for me.

Do you have mozilla-acroread installed?

On 10/05/2010 09:24 AM, #ZHAO LINA# wrote:

[...]

Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CAB3B51.7090702@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB3B51.7090702@cox.net

Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello List !

On 05/10/10 22:45, #ZHAO LINA# wrote:

Is it okay to install the firefox side by side with iceweasles? I mean, at the same time.

according to : http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/iceweasel

"(iceweasel) is based on the Firefox source-code, with minor modifications."

Jerome

Archive: 4CAB3C85.6020601@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB3C85.6020601@rezozer.net

Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:44:48 +0000, #ZHAO LINA# wrote:

> When I tried to use acroread my.pdf
> it showed me,
>
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module":
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class:
> ELFCLASS64

If you Google for that message, all seems pointing to an Acrobat
packaging/library problem :-?

> It's not the main point cause it's no problem view the pdf, the main
> issue was that,
>
> When I opened pdf in the iceweasel, it showed me nothing even I waited
> pretty long. A compromise way to solve it was to restart the iceweasel
> and it only worked once, when the second pdf opened, it still was blank,
> so no choice but to restart it again. Any advise about this?

I would jump acrobat reader and use Evince/Okular or any other pdf viewer
for daily use.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Brad Rogers

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 14:24:55 +0000
#ZHAO LINA# <ZHAO0139@e.ntu.edu.sg> wrote:

Hello #ZHAO,

> Or anyone who works fine to open the pdf within iceweasel time and
> time again would love to share how they handle it. I did not encounter
> that problem before when I used

It works fine for me. I install from the debian-multimedia
repositories.

I'm using a 64 bit machine, 64 bit OS, and nspluginwrapper where
required. The Debian version I use is Testing.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
David Jardine

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 02:45:44PM +0000, #ZHAO LINA# wrote:

> I cannot uninstall it, can somesome provide some solutions?
>
> Or anyone who works fine to open the pdf within iceweasel time and time again would love to share how they handle it. I did not encounter that problem before when I used firefox.

I don't know about the relative merits of acroread and xpdf, but I have
no problems with iceweasel and xpdf.

But you say you cannot uninstall "it" - acroread or iceweasel? Can you
install - or persuade someone to install - another pdf reader (such as
xpdf) and try it out?

Cheers,
David