Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Text overlow in Iceweasel

I'm using Iceweasel 3.5.13 on Sid.

I find that on certain sites, e.g. www.peterrussell.com, portions of
text are superimposed on top of one another - a sort of overflow. This
also happens with Iceape but not with Chromium-browser.

Not a new problem, actually, but it is turning up in a site that I am
professionally involved with. I complained to the designers who replied,
predictably, that it occurs because I am using a "very unusual browser
and operating system"!

I'm not sure if it is a design fault in the sites or a bug in Firefox.
Anyone shed light on this? I didn't find anything relevant on Google.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Ron Johnson

text are superimposed on top of one another - a sort of overflow. This
also happens with Iceape but not with Chromium-browser.

I've seen that before.

Not a new problem, actually, but it is turning up in a site that I am
professionally involved with. I complained to the designers who replied,
predictably, that it occurs because I am using a "very unusual browser
and operating system"!

Linux is definitely a minority desktop OS, but you really should
present to them the statistics showing that FF has about 25% of the
market.

I'm not sure if it is a design fault in the sites or a bug in Firefox.
Anyone shed light on this? I didn't find anything relevant on Google.

Anyway, when I went to www.peterrussell.com and poked around at a
few pages, everything looked normal.

Note, though, that my default font is Arial 15 and I've installed a
lot of fonts, so that might make an impact.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CAB18D1.8030408@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB18D1.8030408@cox.net

Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 05 Oct 2010, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 06:38 AM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> Linux is definitely a minority desktop OS, but you really should
> present to them the statistics showing that FF has about 25% of the
> market.

I did. In fact, on my site it has about half the number of those using
IE.

> Note, though, that my default font is Arial 15 and I've installed a
> lot of fonts, so that might make an impact.

I'll experiment with different fonts to see it there is a difference.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 10-05-2010, 01:05 PM
John Hasler

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm not sure if it is a design fault in the sites or a bug in Firefox.

It is a design fault, and a common one. I see the problem when I visit
the site with my default font size set to 18. It goes away when I set
it to 12 (I use Iceweasel). It's a consequence of the designers
assuming that everyone is 26 years old and has 20-20 vision and a
high-resolution display. Shame them by pointing out that they've made
their site unusable by people with poor eyesight.

BTW "Since its creation in 1966"?
--
John Hasler

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:38:41 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I'm using Iceweasel 3.5.13 on Sid.
>
> I find that on certain sites, e.g. www.peterrussell.com, portions of
> text are superimposed on top of one another - a sort of overflow. This
> also happens with Iceape but not with Chromium-browser.

It renders fine here (stock Iceweasel from squeeze and lenny).

> Not a new problem, actually, but it is turning up in a site that I am
> professionally involved with. I complained to the designers who replied,
> predictably, that it occurs because I am using a "very unusual browser
> and operating system"!

You can reply to them that before saying such things, they can start by
validating they work to make a fully W3C standard compliant site and
forget about that old browsers war.

> I'm not sure if it is a design fault in the sites or a bug in Firefox.
> Anyone shed light on this? I didn't find anything relevant on Google.

It could be both, of course, but most probably a design fault :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 05 Oct 2010, John Hasler wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I'm not sure if it is a design fault in the sites or a bug in Firefox.
>
> It is a design fault, and a common one. I see the problem when I visit
> the site with my default font size set to 18. It goes away when I set
> it to 12 (I use Iceweasel). It's a consequence of the designers
> assuming that everyone is 26 years old and has 20-20 vision and a
> high-resolution display. Shame them by pointing out that they've made
> their site unusable by people with poor eyesight.
>
> BTW "Since its creation in 1966"?
> --
> John Hasler

Interesting. I can make that site work too, setting the default to 12.
But on another site (www.medical-acupuncture.co.uk) I can't stop the
text in the left column encroaching on the central area, no matter what
I set the font size to.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Ron Johnson

On 10/05/2010 09:34 AM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
[snip]

Interesting. I can make that site work too, setting the default to 12.
But on another site (www.medical-acupuncture.co.uk) I can't stop the
text in the left column encroaching on the central area, no matter what
I set the font size to.

Same here.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CAB3A3A.7070806@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB3A3A.7070806@cox.net

Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
John Hasler

Anthony Campbell writes:
> Interesting. I can make that site work too, setting the default to 12.
> But on another site (www.medical-acupuncture.co.uk) I can't stop the
> text in the left column encroaching on the central area, no matter
> what I set the font size to.

I don't see that with Iceweasel 3.5.9, though some of the boxes overflow
with 18 pt.
--
John Hasler

Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Anthony Campbell on 2010-10-05 06:38:41:
> I find that on certain sites, e.g. www.peterrussell.com, portions of
> text are superimposed on top of one another - a sort of overflow. This
> also happens with Iceape but not with Chromium-browser.

I notice the problem on many sites as well, when I use my normal font
settings (Liberation Serif 20pt, on a 1024x768 display specified as
96dpi in xorg). It seems to get worse, though, as I ctrl-mwheelup to
enlarge the fonts.

I've no net from my current location but I will follow up and try that
specific site, both from this laptop and a machine configured for users
having better sight.

/* semi-OT rant */
I notice that a lot of sites still seem to be written by Quark,
PageXPress and Publisher users and not by webdevs. Given the
opportunity, I'd like to have a certain few so-called "webmasters"
blindfolded, numbed, and made to browse their sites using only lynx, the
keyboard, and a screen reader, to teach them the value of Web standards
compliance.
/* end rant*/

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..: