Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Sven Joachim

Default sid: yaird: -t invalid flag option in kernel image install

On 2010-10-05 08:11 +0200, Joel Roth wrote:

> This problem has been dogging me for months.
> I have a different, working kernel, but each apt-get install
> is delayed as apt-get tries to configure
> the linux-image package.
>
> Setting up linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 (2.6.32-15) ...
> Running depmod.
> Running /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird.
> mkinitrd.yaird: invalid option -- 't'
> Terminating...
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird failed to create initrd image.
> Failed to create initrd image.
>
> There is a debian bug report, #518315, that no one seems
> to be fixing.

The yaird package appears to be unmaintained and broken. Why are you
using it?

Sven

Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Joel Roth

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:51:10AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-10-05 08:11 +0200, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > This problem has been dogging me for months.
> > I have a different, working kernel, but each apt-get install
> > is delayed as apt-get tries to configure
> > the linux-image package.
> >
> > Setting up linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 (2.6.32-15) ...
> > Running depmod.
> > Running /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird.
> > mkinitrd.yaird: invalid option -- 't'
> > Terminating...
> > /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird failed to create initrd image.
> > Failed to create initrd image.
> >
> > There is a debian bug report, #518315, that no one seems
> > to be fixing.
>
> The yaird package appears to be unmaintained and broken. Why are you
> using it?

I'm not using it! The above linux-image package invokes it.

I never asked for it. If I remove yaird, the linux-image package
complains that it doesn't find mkinitrd.yaird.

Even if I generate the initrd.img file using a different
utility, the linux-image package still tries (and fails)
to invoke mkinitrd.yaird every time.

I have installed update-initramfs, however the linux-image
package still looks for yaird.

Nothing in /etc/alternatives suggests an alterative.

I like apt's dependency management, but it does bring
another level of complexity.

Joel

> Sven

Joel Roth

Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-10-05 09:06 +0200, Joel Roth wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:51:10AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>
>> The yaird package appears to be unmaintained and broken. Why are you
>> using it?
>
> I'm not using it! The above linux-image package invokes it.
>
> I never asked for it. If I remove yaird, the linux-image package
> complains that it doesn't find mkinitrd.yaird.

Strange. Did you try to purge the yaird package?

Grepping for yaird in /etc might also reveal something.

> Even if I generate the initrd.img file using a different
> utility, the linux-image package still tries (and fails)
> to invoke mkinitrd.yaird every time.
>
> I have installed update-initramfs, however the linux-image
> package still looks for yaird.

I think you mean initramfs-tools rather than update-initramfs.

> Nothing in /etc/alternatives suggests an alterative.

Well, initramfs generators are not managed through alternatives. Maybe
they should, but 99% of all Debian users just use initramfs-tools which
is the only one supported by the Debian kernel team and generally works
well.

Sven

Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Joel Roth

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 09:35:05AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-10-05 09:06 +0200, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:51:10AM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >>
> >> The yaird package appears to be unmaintained and broken. Why are you
> >> using it?
> >
> > I'm not using it! The above linux-image package invokes it.
> >
> > I never asked for it. If I remove yaird, the linux-image package
> > complains that it doesn't find mkinitrd.yaird.
>
> Strange. Did you try to purge the yaird package?

Yes, didn't help.

> Grepping for yaird in /etc might also reveal something.

Nope. No yaird there, either.

> > Even if I generate the initrd.img file using a different
> > utility, the linux-image package still tries (and fails)
> > to invoke mkinitrd.yaird every time.
> >
> > I have installed update-initramfs, however the linux-image
> > package still looks for yaird.
>
> I think you mean initramfs-tools rather than update-initramfs.

The latter utility is part of the former package.

I used update-initramfs to create the initrd.img.
To satisfy apt, I made a dummy mkinitrd.yaird script
with the one line 'exit 0'.

> > Nothing in /etc/alternatives suggests an alterative.
>
> Well, initramfs generators are not managed through alternatives. Maybe
> they should, but 99% of all Debian users just use initramfs-tools which
> is the only one supported by the Debian kernel team and generally works
> well.

I never deliberately chose yaird that I can remember,
and the internet is scattered with complaints by people encountering
a similar problem.

$ apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64

Depends: module-init-tools, linux-base (>= 2.6.32-15),
initramfs-tools (>= 0.55) | linux-initramfs-tool

linux-initramfs-tool is provided by the yaird package,
so this utility is considered officially supported by
Debian sid.

Best,

Joel

> Sven

Joel Roth

Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-10-05 10:12 +0200, Joel Roth wrote:

> I used update-initramfs to create the initrd.img.
> To satisfy apt, I made a dummy mkinitrd.yaird script
> with the one line 'exit 0'.

This works around the problem but is not really a satisfactory
solution.

> I never deliberately chose yaird that I can remember,
> and the internet is scattered with complaints by people encountering
> a similar problem.

If that's the case, the scattered complaints should be brought to the
attention of the Debian kernel maintainers. You can achieve this by
running "reportbug linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64".

> $ apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> Depends: module-init-tools, linux-base (>= 2.6.32-15),
> initramfs-tools (>= 0.55) | linux-initramfs-tool
>
> linux-initramfs-tool is provided by the yaird package,
> so this utility is considered officially supported by
> Debian sid.

It fulfills the dependencies, but that does not mean that it actually
works. People¹ who use sid and install broken packages with several RC
bugs have to deal with the consequences.

Sven

¹ Note that this remark is not directed against you since you said that
you did not deliberately install yaird and have purged the package.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Stephen Powell

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 03:06:28 -0400 (EDT), Joel Roth wrote:

> I'm not using it! The above linux-image package invokes it.
>
> I never asked for it. If I remove yaird, the linux-image package
> complains that it doesn't find mkinitrd.yaird.
>
> Even if I generate the initrd.img file using a different
> utility, the linux-image package still tries (and fails)
> to invoke mkinitrd.yaird every time.
>
> I have installed update-initramfs, however the linux-image
> package still looks for yaird.
>
> Nothing in /etc/alternatives suggests an alterative.
>
> I like apt's dependency management, but it does bring
> another level of complexity.

Check for hook scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d and
/etc/kernel/postrm.d that may not get purged when the yaird
package is purged. That's where I would look first.
There's also /etc/kernel/preinst.d and /etc/kernel/prerm.d.
You should also check /etc/initramfs/post-update.d for hook
scripts, but I'd be surprised if yaird dropped anything in
there.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Joel Roth

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:54:47AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 03:06:28 -0400 (EDT), Joel Roth wrote:
> >
> > I'm not using it! The above linux-image package invokes it.
> >
> > I never asked for it. If I remove yaird, the linux-image package
> > complains that it doesn't find mkinitrd.yaird.
> >
> > Even if I generate the initrd.img file using a different
> > utility, the linux-image package still tries (and fails)
> > to invoke mkinitrd.yaird every time.
> >
> > I have installed update-initramfs, however the linux-image
> > package still looks for yaird.
> >
> > Nothing in /etc/alternatives suggests an alterative.
> >
> > I like apt's dependency management, but it does bring
> > another level of complexity.
>
> Check for hook scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d and
> /etc/kernel/postrm.d that may not get purged when the yaird
> package is purged. That's where I would look first.
> There's also /etc/kernel/preinst.d and /etc/kernel/prerm.d.
> You should also check /etc/initramfs/post-update.d for hook
> scripts, but I'd be surprised if yaird dropped anything in
> there.

Somehow I'd missed this before:

grep -r yaird /etc/*

/etc/kernel-img.conf: ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird

--
Joel Roth

Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 18:45:11 -0400 (EDT), Joel Roth wrote:

> Somehow I'd missed this before:
>
> grep -r yaird /etc/*
>
> /etc/kernel-img.conf: ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird

It looks like you've found the culprit! I didn't even think of
/etc/kernel-img.conf, since its use is largely deprecated in squeeze/sid.
On a lenny system, I might have suggested looking there, but on
a squeeze/sid system, it didn't occur to me that a brand new package would
put something in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Congratulations.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :