Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
AG

Default Postgrad research tools - any recommendations

Greetings list

I have just started a Ph.D. program and want to check out the
availability of the following two software apps that the university uses
on their Windows machines:

SPSS
EndNotes

The first is a statistical package for social science and the second is
a bibliographic referencing system. I am using Mendeley which does have
a Deb package, but many of my colleagues are using EndNote and I will
need to familiarise myself with the application just in case Mendeley
doesn't work out as well as I would hope.

So, does anyone know whether SPSS has a Debian friendly release (or, for
that matter, how well it might work with WINE) and ditto with EndNote?

I am familiar with R, so the question is not about an alternative
statistical package but really about about the opportunity to use SPSS
on a Debian testing machine.

Thanks for any thoughts.

AG

Archive: 4CAA2704.9040908@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CAA2704.9040908@gmail.com

Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Angus Hedger

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 20:12:04 +0100
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Greetings list
>
> I have just started a Ph.D. program and want to check out the
> availability of the following two software apps that the university
> uses on their Windows machines:
>
> SPSS
> EndNotes
>
> The first is a statistical package for social science and the second
> is a bibliographic referencing system. I am using Mendeley which
> does have a Deb package, but many of my colleagues are using EndNote
> and I will need to familiarise myself with the application just in
> case Mendeley doesn't work out as well as I would hope.
>
> So, does anyone know whether SPSS has a Debian friendly release (or,
> for that matter, how well it might work with WINE) and ditto with
> EndNote?

Maybe try PSPP [1]? It seems to be fully compatable with SPSS.

Wine has no notes for newer versions of SPSS, but it seems X3 worked,
kinda, under WINE, as always, ymmv and it can be quite hard to get
stuff working well enough for use.

This thread [2] seems to have some alternatives for EndNotes, though it
is a old (2008) thread, I am not sure how relative it will be to you.

Also, this arical [3] has some other alternatives to Endnotes, it is
newer ( 29th September 2010) so it may be more relevant.

> I am familiar with R, so the question is not about an alternative
> statistical package but really about about the opportunity to use
> SPSS on a Debian testing machine.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.

I hope this is some help.

> AG

[1]http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781843
[3] http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
James Allsopp

Instead of Word and Endnotes, use Latex and bibtex, bit of a learning
curve, but much better results,
James

Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM, James Allsopp
<jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Instead of Word and Endnotes, use Latex and bibtex, bit of a learning
> curve, but much better results,
> James

I'd recommend iceweasel with the zotero extension, and openoffice with
the zotero plugin.

There is always R for your statistical needs, but SPSS, or rather PSAS
or PSTHS or something, whatever they call themselves these days, they
have an linux package available for the same great price of $2000
dollars or so to do things that excel can do.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
AG

[...]

Angus

Thanks - now installed. I'll test it against an SPSS text that I'm
going to be laying hands on. I'm also working through the manual, and
so far all is good. It will be interesting to see how compatible the
data sets will be.

This thread [2] seems to have some alternatives for EndNotes, though it
is a old (2008) thread, I am not sure how relative it will be to you.

Also, this arical [3] has some other alternatives to Endnotes, it is
newer ( 29th September 2010) so it may be more relevant.

That's a good list - I'll experiment and see how each option works out.

<snip>

I hope this is some help.

It does - thanks you.

Archive: 4CAB6E48.9050004@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CAB6E48.9050004@gmail.com

Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Angus Hedger

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:28:24 +0100
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:
<snippy>
> > Maybe try PSPP [1]? It seems to be fully compatable with SPSS.
> >
> > Wine has no notes for newer versions of SPSS, but it seems X3
> > worked, kinda, under WINE, as always, ymmv and it can be quite hard
> > to get stuff working well enough for use.
> >

> Angus
>
> Thanks - now installed. I'll test it against an SPSS text that I'm
> going to be laying hands on. I'm also working through the manual,
> and so far all is good. It will be interesting to see how compatible
> the data sets will be.

Best of luck, They advertise full compatibility, so it will most
certainly be interesting to see if it lives upto that.

> > This thread [2] seems to have some alternatives for EndNotes,
> > though it is a old (2008) thread, I am not sure how relative it
> > will be to you.
> >
> > Also, this arical [3] has some other alternatives to Endnotes, it is
> > newer ( 29th September 2010) so it may be more relevant.
> >

> That's a good list - I'll experiment and see how each option works
> out.

One would hope, that with so many options, one will fit the bill.

> <snip>
> > I hope this is some help.
> >

> It does - thanks you.

Glad to hear it, best of luck with your work.

------