Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Rick Pasotto

Default how to insert a cd without running a program

I have some cds I want to rip. When I insert a cd, gxine runs which I
then have to cancel. How can I prevent gxine (or any other program) from
running? I don't see anything under 'System->Preferences->Preferred
Applications' or 'System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media'.

--
"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back." -- Chinese Proverb
Rick Pasotto rick@niof.net http://www.niof.net

Old 10-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:05:46 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I have some cds I want to rip. When I insert a cd, gxine runs which I
> then have to cancel. How can I prevent gxine (or any other program) from
> running? I don't see anything under 'System->Preferences->Preferred
> Applications' or 'System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media'.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is indeed there (Multimedia tab), at least in Lenny/GNOME.

Mine is setup for DVD video:

[x] Auto-launch inserted media and "play with Totem".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 04:23:32PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:05:46 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> > I have some cds I want to rip. When I insert a cd, gxine runs which I
> > then have to cancel. How can I prevent gxine (or any other program) from
> > running? I don't see anything under 'System->Preferences->Preferred
> > Applications' or 'System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media'.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> It is indeed there (Multimedia tab), at least in Lenny/GNOME.
>
> Mine is setup for DVD video:
>
> [x] Auto-launch inserted media and "play with Totem".

Well, yes, I saw that but knew that was not what controlled it. You see,
mine too is set for Totem but it's actually gxine that runs. So, it's
got to be somewhere else.

Also there is no option there NOT to run a program.

--
"Many people think that if they were only in some other place, or had
some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful. So get as

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:41:11 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 04:23:32PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> It is indeed there (Multimedia tab), at least in Lenny/GNOME.
>>
>> Mine is setup for DVD video:
>>
>> [x] Auto-launch inserted media and "play with Totem".
>
> Well, yes, I saw that but knew that was not what controlled it.

How is that? Are you in Lenny? If yes, there is a checkbox you can toggle
to enable/disable that option :-?

> You see, mine too is set for Totem but it's actually gxine that runs.
> So, it's got to be somewhere else.
>
> Also there is no option there NOT to run a program.

Can you please load a snapshot?

Anyway, (in lenny) you can open Gconf editor and change it from there:

/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd
/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd_command

In squeeze, you can even select "Do nothing" for any kind of detected
media.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 07:55:53PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:41:11 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 04:23:32PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> It is indeed there (Multimedia tab), at least in Lenny/GNOME.
> >>
> >> Mine is setup for DVD video:
> >>
> >> [x] Auto-launch inserted media and "play with Totem".
> >
> > Well, yes, I saw that but knew that was not what controlled it.
>
> How is that? Are you in Lenny? If yes, there is a checkbox you can toggle
> to enable/disable that option :-?

I'm running as much of testing as aptitude will allow me.

Attached (if the list accepts attachments) otherwise http://niof.net/dt/.

> Anyway, (in lenny) you can open Gconf editor and change it from there:
>
> /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd
> /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd_command

Neither that nor autoplay_cda had any effect. The command shows totem
but gxine is what runs.

--
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start
from now and make a brand new ending." -- Anonymous

Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Hugo Berus

Hi

On 4 October 2010 18:05, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> I have some cds I want to rip. When I insert a cd, gxine runs which I
> then have to cancel. How can I prevent gxine (or any other program) from
> running? I don't see anything under 'System->Preferences->Preferred
> Applications' or 'System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media'.

And under System -> Preferences -> File Management -> Media ?

HB

Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Camaleón

Rick Pasotto writes:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 07:55:53PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> > How is that? Are you in Lenny? If yes, there is a checkbox you can toggle
> > to enable/disable that option :-?
>
> I'm running as much of testing as aptitude will allow me.

Then it is located under Nautilus preferences.

> > Can you please load a snapshot?
>
> Attached (if the list accepts attachments) otherwise http://niof.net/dt/.

Well, that explains all: you are looking in the wrong place :-)

> > Anyway, (in lenny) you can open Gconf editor and change it from there:
> >
> > /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd
> > /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd_command
>
> Neither that nor autoplay_cda had any effect. The command shows totem
> but gxine is what runs.

Testing has not that keys, they are only available for Lenny.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón