Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Mark Goldshtein

Default Squeeze. Can't cd in directory which begin with .

Hello, list!

After recent dist-upgrade was surprised with a loss of an ability to
change a directory, which begin with dot. For example, home dir in
gnome-terminal:
$ cd ./wine
bash: cd: ./wine: No such file or directory

Meanwhile, I did it successfully just one reboot ago.

Autocomplete is gone also for that type of dirs.

Please, help to fix!

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Kousik Maiti

Hello MarkTry from $HOME*directory
$cd .wine

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=-M=+oBQAFSFsrNhoOcu=Dw9RaA+qttOuzTVxK@mail.gmail.co m

--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)

Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Robson Roberto Souza Peixoto

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Mark Goldshtein
<mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, list!
>
> After recent dist-upgrade was surprised with a loss of an ability to
> change a directory, which begin with dot. For example, home dir in
> gnome-terminal:
> $ cd ./wine

The correct way is without '/'. The name of directory is '.wine', not './wine'
$ cd .wine

[ ]s

> bash: cd: ./wine: No such file or directory
>
> Meanwhile, I did it successfully just one reboot ago.
>
> Autocomplete is gone also for that type of dirs.
>
> Please, help to fix!
>
> --
> Sincerely Yours'
> Mark Goldshtein

Robson Roberto Souza Peixoto
Robinho
robsonpeixoto@gmail.com
Computer Science Master's degree student, University of Campinas
Linux Counter #395633
IRC: robsonpeixoto
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rrspba
github: https://github.com/robsonpeixoto

Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Ron Johnson

After recent dist-upgrade was surprised with a loss of an ability to
change a directory, which begin with dot. For example, home dir in
gnome-terminal:
$ cd ./wine
bash: cd: ./wine: No such file or directory

Meanwhile, I did it successfully just one reboot ago.

Autocomplete is gone also for that type of dirs.

Please, help to fix!

"./wine" <> ".wine"

"./wine" == "wine"

$ dir | grep snaggle
drwxr-xr-x 2 me me 4096 2010-10-04 10:18:18 snaggle/
drwxr-xr-x 2 me me 4096 2010-10-04 10:18:23 .snaggle/

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CA9F0BC.4080505@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CA9F0BC.4080505@cox.net

Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Kousik Maiti <kousikster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mark
> Try from $HOME*directory
> $cd .wine

Oh, Thanks! It works!

What was that?

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Aidan Gauland

Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Kousik Maiti <kousikster <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Mark
> > Try from $HOME*directory
> > $cd .wine
> >

> Oh, Thanks! It works!
>
> What was that?

. (dot) is the current working directory and / (slash) is the pathname
separator (on UNIX). So ./wine is actually a path where the first
component is the current working directory and the second component is
"wine", so you're saying "the file named 'wine' in the current working
directory". ".wine" is a filename beginning with a dot.

If you're still confused, try these commands...
$ ls -a
$ ls .
$ ls ./
$ ls ..