FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Volkan YAZICI
 
Default squeeze /etc/kbd/remap replace caps with ctrl

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
> Volkan YAZICI wrote:
>> In Squeeze, despite I removed the comment prefix of
>>
>> s/keycode 58 = Caps_Lock/keycode 58 = Control/;
>>
>> line, neither "/etc/init.d/kbd restart", nor "restart" makes any
>> difference in the caps lock key. Am I missing something or the
>> configuration is broken and not working?
>
> Works for me. Please show us exactly what you have tried.

That's exactly what I've tried. Below is the original content of this
file.

# This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console

# This turns caps lock into control
#s/keycode 58 = Caps_Lock/keycode 58 = Control/;

> In the above it looks like you spelled control wrong as "Control/".
> That slash shouldn't be there. It is spelled "Control".

I think it's a sed command. See

$ echo -e "abc
dec" | sed 's/c/C/'
abC
deC

Would you mind sharing your own /etc/kbd/remap configuration?


Regards.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 8762xi7alp.fsf@alamut.alborz.net">http://lists.debian.org/8762xi7alp.fsf@alamut.alborz.net
 
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default squeeze /etc/kbd/remap replace caps with ctrl

Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> >> In Squeeze, despite I removed the comment prefix of
> >>
> >> s/keycode 58 = Caps_Lock/keycode 58 = Control/;
> >>
> >> line, neither "/etc/init.d/kbd restart", nor "restart" makes any
> >> difference in the caps lock key. Am I missing something or the
> >> configuration is broken and not working?
> >
> > Works for me. Please show us exactly what you have tried.
>
> That's exactly what I've tried.
> Below is the original content of this file.
> Would you mind sharing your own /etc/kbd/remap configuration?

/etc/kbd/remap? I don't have that file installed. (I don't have the
'kbd' package installed. I have 'console-tools' installed.) I
thought you were talking about /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz. Sorry.
My bad. You were clear enough about it in your original posting but I
didn't read it correctly.

> # This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console

Since that sed command changes a input keymap file into a modified
keymap file it would make sense to look at the input and make sure it
has a line "keycode 58 = Caps_Lock" in the input that can be
transformed to the desired output. I suspect that it is not in the
input and therefore cannot get converted to "keycode 58 = Control"
and therefore not getting configured as you desire it. I am guessing
that the input file is either empty or minimul and this is defaulting
to the kernel map.

My own /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz file contains a key assignment
for all keys on my keyboard (which probably would not be suitable for
other keyboards) including the following line:

keycode 58 = Control

Bob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101004161117.GA27005@hysteria.proulx.com">http://lists.debian.org/20101004161117.GA27005@hysteria.proulx.com
 
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
David Jardine
 
Default squeeze /etc/kbd/remap replace caps with ctrl

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 10:11:17AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> > Bob Proulx writes:
> > > Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> > >> In Squeeze, despite I removed the comment prefix of
> > >>
> > >> s/keycode 58 = Caps_Lock/keycode 58 = Control/;
> > >>
> > >> line, neither "/etc/init.d/kbd restart", nor "restart" makes any
> > >> difference in the caps lock key. Am I missing something or the
> > >> configuration is broken and not working?
> > >
> > > Works for me. Please show us exactly what you have tried.
> >
> > That's exactly what I've tried.
> > Below is the original content of this file.
> > Would you mind sharing your own /etc/kbd/remap configuration?
>
> /etc/kbd/remap? I don't have that file installed. (I don't have the
> 'kbd' package installed. I have 'console-tools' installed.) I
> thought you were talking about /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz. Sorry.
> My bad. You were clear enough about it in your original posting but I
> didn't read it correctly.
>
> > # This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console
>
> Since that sed command changes a input keymap file into a modified
> keymap file it would make sense to look at the input and make sure it
> has a line "keycode 58 = Caps_Lock" in the input that can be
> transformed to the desired output. I suspect that it is not in the
> input and therefore cannot get converted to "keycode 58 = Control"
> and therefore not getting configured as you desire it. I am guessing
> that the input file is either empty or minimul and this is defaulting
> to the kernel map.
>
> My own /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz file contains a key assignment
> for all keys on my keyboard (which probably would not be suitable for
> other keyboards) including the following line:
>
> keycode 58 = Control

I don't know what the difference is between console-tools and kbd, but
I have console-tools installed and my final keymap (ie, after it's
changed once or twice during the boot process) is pointed to by a line
in

/etc/default/keyboard

which in my case is

KMAP=/etc/console-setup/rus.kmap.gz

which is a file I edited by hand. It happens to be in that directory
simply because I edited another file there to produce it.

If, Volkan, you also have the /etc/default/keyboard file, you could go to
the keymap file it points to and make that change to keycode 58 (and the
converse change to keycode 29, pesumably) quite simply by hand.

Cheers,
David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101004200736.GA2031@gennes.augarten">http://lists.debian.org/20101004200736.GA2031@gennes.augarten
 
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Volkan YAZICI
 
Default squeeze /etc/kbd/remap replace caps with ctrl

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> writes:
> In Squeeze, despite I removed the comment prefix of
>
> s/keycode 58 = Caps_Lock/keycode 58 = Control/;
>
> line, neither "/etc/init.d/kbd restart", nor "restart" makes any
> difference in the caps lock key. Am I missing something or the
> configuration is broken and not working?

Solution[1] in EmacsWiki solved the problem.


Regards.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MovingTheCtrlKey#toc7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87vd5hvh7m.fsf@alamut.ozu.edu.tr">http://lists.debian.org/87vd5hvh7m.fsf@alamut.ozu.edu.tr
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org