Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
vr

Default What controls font settings?

I was using wmaker on Debian unstable. During my netinst installation
I did not use tasksel to pick "desktop" or "base system". I've
manually installed xserver-xorg, etc., to get my desktop going.

Eventually I installed emelfm and its fonts appeared small and tight.
After a few days I did an apt-get dist-upgrade and the fonts looked
spotty in emelfm, iceweasel, and just wmaker in general. I installed
xfce4 tonight and the fonts and GUI became really smooth. But emelfm
and iceweasel and the xfce4 menu still has largish looking fonts,
although they are smooth.

Aside from configuring each app to use specific fonts, what's
controlling this 'under the hood' font activity so to speak?

Archive: 3977834917858c0cb2a1b4a40126ddc0@192.168.0.66">htt p://lists.debian.org/3977834917858c0cb2a1b4a40126ddc0@192.168.0.66

Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:44:17 -0400, vr wrote:

(...)

> Aside from configuring each app to use specific fonts, what's
> controlling this 'under the hood' font activity so to speak?

Font setting and look are in charge of DE or window manager, so if you
are using Xfce, you'll have to configure font face, size, dpi, hinting,
etc... from there (maybe "settings → appearence"?).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Phil Requirements

On 2010-10-03 18:44:17 -0400, vr wrote:

> I was using wmaker on Debian unstable. During my netinst
> installation I did not use tasksel to pick "desktop" or "base
> system". I've manually installed xserver-xorg, etc., to get my
> desktop going.
>
> Eventually I installed emelfm and its fonts appeared small and
> tight. After a few days I did an apt-get dist-upgrade and the fonts
> looked spotty in emelfm, iceweasel, and just wmaker in general. I
> installed xfce4 tonight and the fonts and GUI became really smooth.
> But emelfm and iceweasel and the xfce4 menu still has largish
> looking fonts, although they are smooth.
>
> Aside from configuring each app to use specific fonts, what's
> controlling this 'under the hood' font activity so to speak?

You might want to try using different GTK themes. GTK themes will
influence the look of Iceweasel, emelFM, and other applications
that use the GTK toolkit.

You will probably be able to find a GTK theme that makes your fonts
look more to your liking. Make sure you have "gtk2-engines" installed,
then try out some different GTK themes.

Just an idea,

Phil