Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Greg Madden

Default LibreOffice repositories

On Sunday 03 October 2010 08:56:36 AG wrote:
> Hey list
>
> As many here are probably already aware, due to Oracle buying out Sun,
> the OOo developer community has forked the project as a pre-emptive
> protection against Oracle doing the same thing to OOo as they did to
> OpenSolaris.
>
> As LibO is still in beta mode, one either installs *.debs from the site
> or aliens the *.rpm files. However, having downloaded and dpkg -i the
> *.deb files there do seem to be some minor differences between my user
> experience and that of those who aliened the *.rpm files.
>
> My question is: any idea how long it might take for the LibO files to
> find their way into the testing, etc. repositories and will the OOo
> repositories be deprecated?
>
> Any insight into this?
>
> AG

A good move imho.

I don't have any special info, but Debian being in a freeze, LibreOO won't be
entering testing or sid until after the release of Squeeze. Not sure if
experimental is used for stuff like this.

I could be wrong about this :-)
LibreOffice is using Go-oo builds to start, which is what Debian uses.

Rene Engelhard, Debian developer for our OO builds, is part of LibreOffice, looks
like the path forward, just takes time for Debians release schedule to work.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 17:56:36 +0100, AG wrote:

(...)

> My question is: any idea how long it might take for the LibO files to
> find their way into the testing, etc. repositories and will the OOo
> repositories be deprecated?
>
> Any insight into this?

I think they are still in a very early beta stage (no language packages
which IMO, is a big handicap for an office suite and no ".deb" packages -
BTW, you said there were .deb files for donwload in upstream project,
where did you get them? :-?)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Greg Madden

I use these; http://www.tdf.mirrors.pair.com/libreoffice/testing/
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM
AG

My question is: any idea how long it might take for the LibO files to
find their way into the testing, etc. repositories and will the OOo
repositories be deprecated?

Any insight into this?

I think they are still in a very early beta stage (no language packages
which IMO, is a big handicap for an office suite and no ".deb" packages -
BTW, you said there were .deb files for donwload in upstream project,
where did you get them? :-?)

Greetings,

I used the files from here:

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/

HtH

AG

Archive: 4CA8CFC9.5080308@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CA8CFC9.5080308@gmail.com

Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:47:37 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 03/10/10 18:59, Camaleón wrote:

>> I think they are still in a very early beta stage (no language packages
>> which IMO, is a big handicap for an office suite and no ".deb" packages
>> - BTW, you said there were .deb files for donwload in upstream project,
>> where did you get them? :-?)
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> I used the files from here:
>
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/

Greg, AG... Thanks both for pointing out this (that URL is a bit hidden).
I only was aware of the ".rpm" ones and the plain source ".tar.gz" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 PM
AG

I think they are still in a very early beta stage (no language packages
which IMO, is a big handicap for an office suite and no ".deb" packages
- BTW, you said there were .deb files for donwload in upstream project,
where did you get them? :-?)

Greetings,

I used the files from here:

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/

Greg, AG... Thanks both for pointing out this (that URL is a bit hidden).
I only was aware of the ".rpm" ones and the plain source ".tar.gz" :-)

Greetings,

Happy to help, Camaleón

AG

Archive: 4CA8E6A5.1040803@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CA8E6A5.1040803@gmail.com

Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 05:56:36PM +0100, AG wrote:
> Hey list
>
> As many here are probably already aware, due to Oracle buying out Sun,
> the OOo developer community has forked the project as a pre-emptive
> protection against Oracle doing the same thing to OOo as they did to
> OpenSolaris.

I don't get the purpose / big fuss about LibreOffice. Isn't this what
go-oo.org has been doing for years?

-Rob

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 22:29, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 05:56:36PM +0100, AG wrote:
>> Hey list
>>
>> As many here are probably already aware, due to Oracle buying out Sun,
>> the OOo developer community has forked the project as a pre-emptive
>> protection against Oracle doing the same thing to OOo as they did to
>> OpenSolaris.
>>
> I don't get the purpose / big fuss about LibreOffice. *Isn't this what
> go-oo.org has been doing for years?

There's some explanation here:
http://liorkaplan.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/welcome-the-document-foundation-and-libreoffice/

--
blog: http://tshepang.tumblr.com

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Rene Engelhard

Hi,
On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 09:48:21AM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> > My question is: any idea how long it might take for the LibO files to
> > find their way into the testing, etc. repositories and will the OOo
> > repositories be deprecated?
[...]
> I don't have any special info, but Debian being in a freeze, LibreOO won't be
> entering testing or sid until after the release of Squeeze. Not sure if

True.

> experimental is used for stuff like this.

I plan to upload it to experimental, yes. but I need to finish
the openoffice.org-* libreoffice-* rename and try to get upgrades to work.

> I could be wrong about this :-)

Ah, you're right

> LibreOffice is using Go-oo builds to start, which is what Debian uses.
>
> Rene Engelhard, Debian developer for our OO builds, is part of LibreOffice, looks
> like the path forward, just takes time for Debians release schedule to work.

Jup, more or less

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
.'`. René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
`. `' rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: D03E3E70