Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Lisi

Default ECS 6100 PM-K2-v7 BB-3801G

Has anyone any experience of running this motherboard with Lenny? Do
graphics, sound and network function correctly?

Googling suggests that it is not state of the art, which means that it should
be OK, but it is for someone else so I must get it right!

I did turn up when Googling someone who was having trouble with Ubuntu, but
had previously been running Lenny without a problem. But I would value your
comments.

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Angus Hedger

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:53:15 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of running this motherboard with Lenny? Do
> graphics, sound and network function correctly?

I had a real hard time finding out what the motherboard was, is it
this? [1]. It should all work fine, its very standard hardware.

As for the GPU, it should work both under nouveau (NV40 family) [2] and
the nVidia binary blob, depending on your needs.

If that isn’t the motherboard/etc you are talking about, pleases provide
more information or a link!

[1]
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Barebones/Novatech/BB-3801G.html
[2]http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Lisi

On Sunday 03 October 2010 10:05:11 Angus Hedger wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:53:15 +0100
>
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone any experience of running this motherboard with Lenny? Do
> > graphics, sound and network function correctly?
>
> I had a real hard time finding out what the motherboard was, is it
> this? [1]. It should all work fine, its very standard hardware.

Sorry. :-) "My bad" to use the current (or is it already past?) expression.
That makes it even kinder of you to have replied - I didn't deserve it.

> As for the GPU, it should work both under nouveau (NV40 family) [2] and
> the nVidia binary blob, depending on your needs.
>
> If that isn’t the motherboard/etc you are talking about, pleases provide
> more information or a link!
>
> [1]
> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Barebones/Novatech/BB-3801G.html
> [2]http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

Thanks, Angus. That is exactly the board - in fact this actual Barebones is
what I am thinking of buying on his behalf. I am being more cautious even
than usual because it isn't for me!

Lisi

Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Angus Hedger

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:20:03 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 October 2010 10:05:11 Angus Hedger wrote:
<snippy>
> > I had a real hard time finding out what the motherboard was, is it
> > this? [1]. It should all work fine, its very standard hardware.
>
> Sorry. :-) "My bad" to use the current (or is it already past?)
> expression. That makes it even kinder of you to have replied - I
> didn't deserve it.

I would think its current, but then I can never keep up with the
rapidly changing set of preferred expressions around these parts!

> > As for the GPU, it should work both under nouveau (NV40 family) [2]
> > and the nVidia binary blob, depending on your needs.
> >
> > If that isn’t the motherboard/etc you are talking about, pleases
> > provide more information or a link!
> >
> > [1]
> > http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Barebones/Novatech/BB-3801G.html
> > [2]http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
>
> Thanks, Angus. That is exactly the board - in fact this actual
> Barebones is what I am thinking of buying on his behalf. I am being
> more cautious even than usual because it isn't for me!

More than welcome, I couldn’t find the exact motherboard on any of the
linux HCL's, but I did find another motherboard with the same Broadcom
AC131 lan chip, and they said it all worked (in 2007), and the sound is
hda-intel so no problem with it under ALSA.

Looking again, it seems the 6100 and nouveau don’t get on very well, it
might be fixed, but you can use the nv or nVidia binary
driver depending and it should work fine, and if your planning on
putting lenny on it, nouveau isnt an option anyway :P

------