Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Default deluge to handle torrents

Hi all,

I was trying to set up deluge to handle torrents in ice weasel,
and ran into the following problem.

when I go to the applications tab, there isn't actually a way to add an
app against a mime type.

so the question is

1 why isn't it automatically registered when deluge is installed, i.e.
is this a buglet in the deluge package ?

2 is there some delta between ice weasel and firefox in the way that
applications are handled ? maybe through some other debian package ?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Vincenzo Tibullo

2010/10/3 <briand@aracnet.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to set up deluge to handle torrents in ice weasel,
> and ran into the following problem.
>
> when I go to the applications tab, there isn't actually a way to add an
> app against a mime type.
>
> so the question is
>
> 1 why isn't it automatically registered when deluge is installed, i.e.
> is this a buglet in the deluge package ?
>
> 2 is there some delta between ice weasel and firefox in the way that
> applications are handled ? ┬*maybe through some other debian package ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Click on a .torrent link, a dialog window open, choose Open With,
click Browse and go to /usr/bin/deluge
If the windows do not open, the go to the Preference -> Aplications
Tab and set Always Ask for .torrent links

Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:56:48 +0200
Vincenzo Tibullo <enzotib@gmail.com> wrote:

> Click on a .torrent link, a dialog window open, choose Open With,
> click Browse and go to /usr/bin/deluge
> If the windows do not open, the go to the Preference -> Aplications
> Tab and set Always Ask for .torrent links

Well, that's what's strange, there is no way to do that. All I get is
a list of target types, torrent is not among them, and no way to add
one.

I'm running a fairly recent version of iceweasel from unstable. Just
upgraded a few days ago.

That's why I'm wondering if some other package (mozplugger) is
interfering.

It doesn't seem possible that I'm the only one having this problem.

Brian

Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Ron Johnson

Click on a .torrent link, a dialog window open, choose Open With,
click Browse and go to /usr/bin/deluge
If the windows do not open, the go to the Preference -> Aplications
Tab and set Always Ask for .torrent links

Well, that's what's strange, there is no way to do that. All I get is
a list of target types, torrent is not among them, and no way to add
one.

I'm running a fairly recent version of iceweasel from unstable. Just
upgraded a few days ago.

That's why I'm wondering if some other package (mozplugger) is
interfering.

It doesn't seem possible that I'm the only one having this problem.

When I click on a torrent, a dialog box pops up asking me what I
want to do.

The choices are:
o Open with [Transmission]
o FlashGot
o Save File

x Do this automatically for files like this from now on.

So, I'm presuming that you don't get this kind of dialog?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CA8BE71.8070406@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CA8BE71.8070406@cox.net

Old 10-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Camale├│n

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:14:31 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:56:48 +0200 Vincenzo Tibullo wrote:
>

>> Click on a .torrent link, a dialog window open, choose Open With, click
>> Browse and go to /usr/bin/deluge If the windows do not open, the go to
>> the Preference -> Aplications Tab and set Always Ask for .torrent links
>>

> Well, that's what's strange, there is no way to do that. All I get is a
> list of target types, torrent is not among them, and no way to add one.

You should have the option "Open with Ôćĺ Other" that allows you to add any
program installed on your system.

Greetings,

--
Camale├│n

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:33:37 -0500

> On 10/03/2010 12:14 PM, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:56:48 +0200
> > Vincenzo Tibullo<enzotib@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Click on a .torrent link, a dialog window open, choose Open With,
> >> click Browse and go to /usr/bin/deluge
> >> If the windows do not open, the go to the Preference ->
> >> Aplications Tab and set Always Ask for .torrent links
> >>

> > Well, that's what's strange, there is no way to do that. All I get
> > is a list of target types, torrent is not among them, and no way to
> > add one.
> >
> > I'm running a fairly recent version of iceweasel from unstable.
> > Just upgraded a few days ago.
> >
> > That's why I'm wondering if some other package (mozplugger) is
> > interfering.
> >
> > It doesn't seem possible that I'm the only one having this problem.
> >

> When I click on a torrent, a dialog box pops up asking me what I
> want to do.
>
> The choices are:
> o Open with [Transmission]
> o FlashGot
> o Save File
>
> x Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
>
> So, I'm presuming that you don't get this kind of dialog?

Correct.

The dialog is:

would you like to save this file ?
o "save file"
o "cancel"

What you describe is precisely what I would expect.

Brian

Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 17:43:39 +0000 (UTC)
Camale├│n <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:14:31 -0700, briand wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:56:48 +0200 Vincenzo Tibullo wrote:
> >

> >> Click on a .torrent link, a dialog window open, choose Open With,
> >> click Browse and go to /usr/bin/deluge If the windows do not open,
> >> the go to the Preference -> Aplications Tab and set Always Ask
> >> for .torrent links
> >>

> > Well, that's what's strange, there is no way to do that. All I get
> > is a list of target types, torrent is not among them, and no way to
> > add one.
>
> You should have the option "Open with Ôćĺ Other" that allows you to add
> any program installed on your system.

Nope. Which is why I'm confused. The ability to associate new file
types seems to be completely shut down.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Camale├│n

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:22:37 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 17:43:39 +0000 (UTC) Camale├│n wrote:

>> You should have the option "Open with Ôćĺ Other" that allows you to add
>> any program installed on your system.
>>

> Nope. Which is why I'm confused. The ability to associate new file
> types seems to be completely shut down.

Then check for any available update of Icewasel (xulrunner) because that
looks not normal (at least I get that option under Squeeze that has
iceweasel 3.5.13-1) :-?

Greetings,

--
Camale├│n

Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 AM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 20:33:05 +0000 (UTC)
Camale├│n <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:22:37 -0700, briand wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 17:43:39 +0000 (UTC) Camale├│n wrote:
>
> >> You should have the option "Open with Ôćĺ Other" that allows you to
> >> add any program installed on your system.
> >>

> > Nope. Which is why I'm confused. The ability to associate new file
> > types seems to be completely shut down.
>
> Then check for any available update of Icewasel (xulrunner) because
> that looks not normal (at least I get that option under Squeeze that
> has iceweasel 3.5.13-1) :-?

That's what I'm using.

Is it possible that a previous installation of either iceweasel or
firefox has left files lying around that are screwing things up
(especially in my home directory) ?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Camaleˇn

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:19:16 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 20:33:05 +0000 (UTC) Camaleˇn wrote:

>> Then check for any available update of Icewasel (xulrunner) because
>> that looks not normal (at least I get that option under Squeeze that
>> has iceweasel 3.5.13-1) :-?
>>

> That's what I'm using.
>
> Is it possible that a previous installation of either iceweasel or
> firefox has left files lying around that are screwing things up
> (especially in my home directory) ?

Mmm, it's a very big UI issue, not sure how a user setting could prevent
the proper windows prompt from appearing, but testing may not hurt. You
can rename your current Iceweasel user's profile (move it to something
like "~/.mozilla_old") and start from scratch.

You can even create a new system user and login with it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn