Old 10-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Rob Hurle

Default Printing - CUPS and Canon laser printer

On 3 October 2010 14:15, Allan Wind <allan_wind@lifeintegrity.com> wrote:
> On 2010-10-03T13:53:31, Rob Hurle wrote:
>> But, nothing prints from debian, Windows computers have no trouble.
>> CUPS (http://localhost:631) shows "printing since..." but nothing
>> appears.
>
> What is your Connection set to (http://localhost:631/printers
> then click on your printer)? *I have seen similar with ipp
> so try lpd instead if you not.

Thanks for the suggestions. The connection is set to:

socket://192.168.87.12

The IP number is correct. The device is "Canon 7200...." and if I
change the device to "CAPT Printer" or anything else (including "lpd")
it reverts to the "Canon 7200...." I guess that this is ipp (IP
printing protocol).

Cheers,
Rob Hurle

--
-----------------------------
Rob Hurle

Old 10-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:53:31 +1100, Rob Hurle wrote:

> I have a Canon LPB7200Cdn printer connected to the home network and am
> trying to get printing going on Lenny:

(...)

Does the printer have installed the PostScript module? If yes, just
download the PPD file from Canon website and install a new printer from
CUPS (no need to install additional .deb packages).

If the printer is only PCL5e/PCL6 capable, then you can also try with a
generic PCL6 driver (i.e., "pxlcolor").

If you still want to debug the Canon driver, review your Cups log files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Allan Wind

On 2010-10-03T17:13:56, Rob Hurle wrote:
> socket://192.168.87.12
>
> The IP number is correct. The device is "Canon 7200...." and if I
> change the device to "CAPT Printer" or anything else (including "lpd")
> it reverts to the "Canon 7200...." I guess that this is ipp (IP
> printing protocol).

No, socket is different from ipp. Is there not usually a port
when you use a socket as connection?

I would encourage you to push on getting to lpd. Here is what we
use at work:

lpd://192.168.1.4/port1

You might have explicitly set the PPD after changing the
connection.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Allan Wind

On 2010-10-03T13:25:58, Allan Wind wrote:
> I would encourage you to push on getting to lpd. Here is what we
> use at work:
>
> lpd://192.168.1.4/port1
>
> You might have explicitly set the PPD after changing the
> connection.

Try run nmap against the printer to see which ports are
available:

nmap $ip

where $ip is the IP address of your printer. You will probably
need to install nmap first (`aptitude install nmap`). It will
tell if you there is any connectivity issues. lpd is port 515,
ipp is 631 etc (see /etc/services).

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Rob Hurle

Thanks for all the help:

On 4 October 2010 04:31, Allan Wind <allan_wind@lifeintegrity.com> wrote:
> On 2010-10-03T13:25:58, Allan Wind wrote:
>> I would encourage you to push on getting to lpd. *Here is what we
>> use at work:
>>
>> lpd://192.168.1.4/port1
>>
>> You might have explicitly set the PPD after changing the
>> connection.
>
> Try run nmap against the printer to see which ports are
> available:
>
> nmap $ip
>
> where $ip is the IP address of your printer. *You will probably
> need to install nmap first (`aptitude install nmap`). *It will
> tell if you there is any connectivity issues. *lpd is port 515,
> ipp is 631 etc (see /etc/services).

I installed nmap and had a look at the printer. It is listening to
ports 21, 80, 427 (srvlock) and 9100 (jetdirect), all TCP. Port 9100
is not in /etc/services and I'm not sure if this is significant. I've
added it to see what happens.

this printer as it uses CAPT, the Canon printer driver. The software
provided by Canon puts "pstocapt3" in /usr/lib/cups/filter. I notice
that there is a report of /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt3 and
/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket both being killed by a 9 signal in
/var/log/kern.log. I wonder what this means?

Rob Hurle

--
-----------------------------

Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Rob Hurle

Further to this problem. I have been wondering about error messages
appearing in /var/log/syslog (repeated in a few places). Some more
careful investigation shows that when I stop the printer, this is the
error:

Oct 4 12:41:42 debian kernel: [ 1537.372970] c3pldrv[2938]: segfault
at 0 ip 00000000 sp bf95d1ac error 4 in c3pldrv[8048000+13000]

This is certainly related to the printer, since it always occur on
stopping it (through CUPS). I had not caught the correlation before.
Any more ideas? I'll also try Canon support now that I can see a
definite error.

--
-----------------------------

Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Allan Wind

On 2010-10-04T12:12:19, Rob Hurle wrote:
> I installed nmap and had a look at the printer. It is listening to
> ports 21, 80, 427 (srvlock) and 9100 (jetdirect), all TCP. Port 9100
> is not in /etc/services and I'm not sure if this is significant. I've
> added it to see what happens.

In other words this is the right connection (not sure if 9100 is
the default for socket) or if it takes spool name:

socket://$ip:9100

Check out this link:
<http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/4-ubuntu/229-installation-canon-lbp2900-on-linux>
some of related threads talks about using older versions of the
driver.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:12:19 +1100, Rob Hurle wrote:

(...)

> this printer as it uses CAPT, the Canon printer driver. The software
> provided by Canon puts "pstocapt3" in /usr/lib/cups/filter. I notice
> that there is a report of /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt3 and
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/socket both being killed by a 9 signal in
> /var/log/kern.log. I wonder what this means?

That means nothing good (meaning: Canon driver has some trouble) :-(

If the printer is using PCL6, add another new printer to Cups and select
"pxlcolor" for the driver, (generic PCL6 color) just to test if that
works and thus avoiding the use of the Canon filter.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón