-   -   Debian hyperthreading support (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/434796-debian-hyperthreading-support.html)

Nathen 10-02-2010 11:08 PM

Debian hyperthreading support

Pretty simple question really, does Debian i.e. the current Linux
Kernel handle hyperthreading well? I have a server running on an Intel
Atom D510, should I have HT enabled or disabled to get the best
performance?
Thanks. :)

Angus Hedger 10-02-2010 11:40 PM

Debian hyperthreading support

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:08:30 +0100
Nathen <n147258369@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Pretty simple question really, does Debian i.e. the current Linux
> Kernel handle hyperthreading well? I have a server running on an Intel
> Atom D510, should I have HT enabled or disabled to get the best
> performance?
> Thanks. :)

Linux has handled hyperthreading since 2.4.x.

As for performance, see here [1] in general it doesn’t hurt performance,
but doesn’t help much either.

[1] http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Angus Hedger 10-02-2010 11:49 PM

Debian hyperthreading support

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:08:30 +0100
Nathen <n147258369@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Pretty simple question really, does Debian i.e. the current Linux
> Kernel handle hyperthreading well? I have a server running on an Intel
> Atom D510, should I have HT enabled or disabled to get the best
> performance?
> Thanks. :)

Sorry, the link was bad (for p4 hyperthreading) its late, my bad.

Reading more, it seems that with the atom, hyperthreading really helps
with parallel tasks, so I would leave it on.

I cant find any benchmarks of it on vs it off, and I dont have a spare
HDD to boot the atom330 I have to do some of my own.

------