Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Mark

Default How to upgrade kernel in Lenny, not compile a custom one

Based on what I've read, kernel 2.6.32 has fixed the broadcom 4306 rev02 wireless card 1 MB/s speed issue and I'd like to have my Lenny system boot into that kernel to fix this issue.* The only help I've found for doing this without doing a custom compile is here (http://www.khattam.info/installing-kernel-2-6-30-or-any-latest-version-available-in-debian-lenny-or-ubuntu-without-having-to-go-through-compiling-2009-08-10.html).* As I haven't done this before, can anyone provide feedback on this link, its methods, etc., before I go trying a kernel upgrade?

If there is another way, I'm open to suggestions.* I don't need a custom kernel, just need to boot Lenny into a 2.6.32 or later kernel, if possible.

Thank you,
Mark

Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Greg Madden

On Saturday 02 October 2010 11:59:02 Mark wrote:
> Based on what I've read, kernel 2.6.32 has fixed the broadcom 4306 rev02
> wireless card 1 MB/s speed issue and I'd like to have my Lenny system boot
> into that kernel to fix this issue. The only help I've found for doing
> this without doing a custom compile is here (
> http://www.khattam.info/installing-kernel-2-6-30-or-any-latest-version-avai
>lable-in-debian-lenny-or-ubuntu-without-having-to-go-through-compiling-2009-
>08-10.html). As I haven't done this before, can anyone provide feedback on
> this link, its methods, etc., before I go trying a kernel upgrade?
>
> If there is another way, I'm open to suggestions. I don't need a custom
> kernel, just need to boot Lenny into a 2.6.32 or later kernel, if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> Mark

Debian backports (official) has the 2.6.32 kernel, add the following to your
sources.list:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main

There are other install media available by third parties for newer hardware
configurations, google or this list has references also.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Greg Madden wrote:

Based on what I've read, kernel 2.6.32 has fixed the broadcom 4306 rev02
wireless card 1 MB/s speed issue and I'd like to have my Lenny system boot
into that kernel to fix this issue.

<snip>

Debian backports (official) has the 2.6.32 kernel, add the following to your
sources.list:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main

Works good.
/home/hugo/gpc-qt4-002Sun Oct 03-08:59:10SDB3# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Sat Sep 18 02:14:45 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Hugo