Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Christian Hammers

Default Cups does not find shared Windows printer while smbclient does.

Hello

I would like to print to a remote printer that is connected to a
Windows system from my Debian (squeeze) host.

Samba sees the remote printer:

# smbclient -N -L mrdarcy
Domain=[MRDARCY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC Remote-IPC
print$ Disk Druckertreiber
SharedDocs Disk
hpdeskjet Printer hp deskjet 3600 series

Just neither of CUPS via http://localhost:631/, the KDE printer
system settings nor system-config-printer are able to "just show
it to me".

Of course I know that I could just add smb://mrdarcy/hpdeskjet to
the cupsd.conf but I don't want to! This is 2010, it has to work
better! Any ideas?

thanks,

-christian-