Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Didar Hossain

Default KVM hosted lenny starts all processes with high priority

Hi all,

I am currently attending a training session and have installed Lenny
as a KVM guest.
I just noticed that all the process are being assigned high priority
(-2) - even the ones
I invoke from the shell.

Is there a kernel tunable (/proc/sys setting) that specifies the
default process priority?

Please, I know about nice/renice - I am after changing the default
process priority setting.

Regards,
Didar

Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Didar Hossain

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Didar Hossain <didar.hossain@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently attending a training session and have installed Lenny
> as a KVM guest.
> I just noticed that all the process are being assigned high priority
> (-2) - even the ones
> I invoke from the shell.
>
> Is there a kernel tunable (/proc/sys setting) that specifies the
> default process priority?
>
> Please, I know about nice/renice - I am after changing the default
> process priority setting.
>
> Regards,
> Didar

This is for anyone who hits this in the archives.

I did some more testing and this is what I found -

It seems to be not related to the guest instance at all. The situation
occurs only when I pass "-nographic"
option to vdekvm. I use `ssh' to remote login into the guest.

The host OS is not Debian (Ubuntu 8.10) and the KVM version is quiet
old - so, this might have probably been
resolved by now.

Of course, the workaround is to simply use snice/renice to change the
priority of all the user processes upto
the "sshd" instance; meaning to first "renice" the shell (bash) and
then renice the "sshd" (as root).

Regards,
Didar