Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 AM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Default Distributed filesystem between 2 file servers

Hi:

On Friday 01 October 2010 20:50:32 Linux Expert wrote:
> I manage 2 offices which are connected via a VPN link, and both sets of
> users need access to a large filesystem (550GB).
>
> Currently we have a single fileserver (Samba domain member) on one side,
> but users on the other side of the VPN are frustrated with the slowness.
> There's no easy way to divide the filesystem, and users from both offices
> work together on the same files.
>
> I'd like to setup two fileservers, one in each office, which both have a
> local copy of the large filesystem. So it would be like a multi-master
> fileserver.

I don't think there's a streamlined equivalent for Microsoft's DFS if that's
what you are looking for. Anyway, you may have a look at this wikipedia
entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#Distributed_file_systems

Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Ron Johnson

I manage 2 offices which are connected via a VPN link, and both sets of
users need access to a large filesystem (550GB).

Currently we have a single fileserver (Samba domain member) on one side,
but users on the other side of the VPN are frustrated with the slowness.

Faster pipe? Enable compression?

--
Seek truth from facts.