Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Mark Neidorff

Default Please explain X strangeness

Hi all,

Debian Lenny system patched up using nvidia driver. I have a KVM switch
because I am setting up a new machine. Normal behavior is that X starts just
fine if the Debian box has KVM "focus" as it boots. If it doesn't have
"focus" (I see the video from the other computer on the screen) the I get an
"out of range" error on the screen. A quick ctrl-alt-backspace restarts the
X server and everything is fine. Recently, I've gotten a 3rd PC to setup.
Since my monitor has multiple video inputs, I hooked the 3rd PC to video2 on
the monitor. Yesterday, I unhooked the 3rd PC from the monitor (but left the
cable hooked to the monitor with an unattached end). Today when I tried to
start X, even when I see the output of the debian box on the monitor, I got
an "out of range" error. Tapping ctrl-alt-backspace restarts X, but does not
allow X to start. Here is the part I would like an explanation for....I
pulled the video cable (that is attached to nothing) off of the connector on
the monitor, tapped ctrl-alt-backspace, and X started just fine. Why does
the presence of a disconnected cable give X a problem?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 14:56:04 -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:

(...)
> Yesterday, I unhooked the 3rd PC
> from the monitor (but left the cable hooked to the monitor with an
> unattached end). Today when I tried to start X, even when I see the
> output of the debian box on the monitor, I got an "out of range" error.
> Tapping ctrl-alt-backspace restarts X, but does not allow X to start.
> Here is the part I would like an explanation for....I pulled the video
> cable (that is attached to nothing) off of the connector on the monitor,
> tapped ctrl-alt-backspace, and X started just fine. Why does the
> presence of a disconnected cable give X a problem?

In brief, you are experiencing weirdnesses with a headless system and
your xorg/vga drivers/monitor, right?

I would start by reviwing the Xorg log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) to get
any clue. You can upload its whole content (it does not contain sensitive
data) to any online service such www.pastebin.com.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón