FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-01-2010, 03:28 PM
T o n g
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

Hi,

I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need is
the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used to
use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound mixer
plain and simple enough for me.

Just like Gnome/Windows volume control tool -- nothing fancy and eye
catching, just out of the way most of the time, but when I need it, it's
a click away and offer nothing complicated than the main (and PCM) volume
control. tkmixer used to foot the bill. sigh...

Am I really out of luck now?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i84une$60i$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i84une$60i$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Camaleón
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:28:46 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need
> is the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used
> to use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound
> mixer plain and simple enough for me.
>
> Just like Gnome/Windows volume control tool -- nothing fancy and eye
> catching, just out of the way most of the time, but when I need it, it's
> a click away and offer nothing complicated than the main (and PCM)
> volume control. tkmixer used to foot the bill. sigh...
>
> Am I really out of luck now?

How about "gamix", "aumix-gtk" or "wmix"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.10.01.16.13.34@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.10.01.16.13.34@gmail.com
 
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
"Sridhar M.A."
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 03:28:46PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need is
> the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used to
> use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound mixer
> plain and simple enough for me.
>
Take a look at volumeicon here :

http://www.softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html

HTH,

--
Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

If I knew what brand [of whiskey] he drinks, I would send a barrel or
so to my other generals.
-- Abraham Lincoln, on General Grant
 
Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 03:28:46PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need is
> the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used to
> use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound mixer
> plain and simple enough for me.
>
Earlier today I finally set up my Fluxbox keys file to handle this.

# volume settings -- up, down, and mute:
Control Mod1 9 :Exec amixer sset Master,0 1+
Control Mod1 8 :Exec amixer sset Master,0 1-
Control Mod1 0 :Exec amixer sset Master,0 toggle

# microphone settings -- up, down, and mute:
Control Mod1 3 :Exec amixer sset Capture,0 1+
Control Mod1 2 :Exec amixer sset Capture,0 1-
Control Mod1 1 :Exec amixer sset Capture,0 toggle

# alsamixer
Control Mod1 6 :Exec uxterm -font a14 -geometry 70x20 -T "alsamixer" -e alsamixer -V all

Not exactly GUI, but it works. Note that on my system that runs
pulseaudio, I need slightly different settings. Let me know if you want
to see them.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101001180328.GA11506@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20101001180328.GA11506@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:28 +0000 (UTC) T o n g wrote:
> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I
> need is the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more
> -- I used to use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a
> GUI sound mixer plain and simple enough for me.

Using xbindkeys, I assigned
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM 5%+ to Ctrl+Up
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM 5%- to Ctrl+Down

An advantage of xbindkeys is that it works in other WMs and DEs as well.
Not exactly GUI, but I find it even easier than that.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101001230639.ba328476.shiems146@kpnplanet.nl">ht tp://lists.debian.org/20101001230639.ba328476.shiems146@kpnplanet.nl
 
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Liam O'Toole
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On 2010-10-01, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need is
> the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used to
> use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound mixer
> plain and simple enough for me.


You don't even need a GUI tool: a console application like alsamixer
(from the alsa-utils package) will do the job.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrniacsbv.398.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet">http://lists.debian.org/slrniacsbv.398.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet
 
Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Dale
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:28:46 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need is
> the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used to
> use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound mixer
> plain and simple enough for me.
>
> Just like Gnome/Windows volume control tool -- nothing fancy and eye
> catching, just out of the way most of the time, but when I need it, it's
> a click away and offer nothing complicated than the main (and PCM) volume
> control. tkmixer used to foot the bill. sigh...
>
> Am I really out of luck now?
>
There is a nice little app called 'FB-Mix'[1] a friend of mine wrote for
Fluxbox.

<quote>
A simple mixer applet for the system tray

FB-Mix is designed to sit in the Fluxbox system tray and popup an
alsamixer window when clicked. No doubt it works with other window
managers too.

As of version 0.2 volume can also be adjusted using the mouse
scrollwheel when hovering over the icon.
</quote>

Regards
Dale

[1] http://sandbox.ltmnet.com/fbmix


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101002105959.52d1436f@spock.tux.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20101002105959.52d1436f@spock.tux.lan
 
Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM
hugo vanwoerkom
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

Liam O'Toole wrote:

On 2010-10-01, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I need is
the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more -- I used to
use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a GUI sound mixer
plain and simple enough for me.



You don't even need a GUI tool: a console application like alsamixer
(from the alsa-utils package) will do the job.



That's true but what gets me with alsamixer is remembering the keys for
left and right up and down.

<open the diary> <search for the page with the keys>
QWE = up
ZXC = down.
I don't have to remember with a GUI like with gnome. What's their volume
control?


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: i87hkn$lgt$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i87hkn$lgt$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Nuno Magalhăes
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

Hi,

If you just want volume control, i use gkrellm's volume plugin. Does
come with other core plugins so maybe not what you want. Keybindings
seem interesting.

iH


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTik5f+tJ6zuE5+cv4t1vi5tE0jvk3J=TkSt4pvQr@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTik5f+tJ6zuE5+cv4t1vi5tE0jvk3J=TkSt4pvQr@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default A simple GUI volume control tool for fluxbox

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 10:02:56AM -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2010-10-01, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I do almost everything on command line. Maybe the only GUI tool I
>>> need is the sound volume control tool, but I don't have it any more
>>> -- I used to use tkmixer. Now that it's obsoleted, I'm yet to find a
>>> GUI sound mixer plain and simple enough for me.
>>
>>
>> You don't even need a GUI tool: a console application like alsamixer
>> (from the alsa-utils package) will do the job.
>>
>
> That's true but what gets me with alsamixer is remembering the keys for
> left and right up and down.
> <open the diary> <search for the page with the keys>
> QWE = up
> ZXC = down.
> I don't have to remember with a GUI like with gnome. What's their volume
> control?
>
Gnome's is gnome-volume-control, which is in the gnome-media package.

There's also gnome-alsamixer and alsamixergui to consider.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101002185509.GA19524@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20101002185509.GA19524@aurora.owens.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org