Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
"s. keeling"

Default Staples "Relay (tm)" 4 Gb USB sticks - slow or normal (lenny)?

I keep one copy of my latest backup on usb sticks that I keep in my
pack. Yesterday, I recreated it. It's an ext2 ptn:

/dev/sdb1 on /media/usb0 type ext2 (rw,noexec,nodev,sync,noatime)

That happens when I plug it in (udev?).

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 2009-05-20 22:55 /media/sdb1/

I plugged it in at 17:13, started the copy minutes later, and it took
until 03:43 to finish, which is pretty sucky. CD copies take like ten
minutes.

(0) infidel /home/keeling_ du -sm /scratch/afio/
637 /scratch/afio/

Is it just that usb's slow, or is the box doing it wrong? Is it my
preference for ext2? I've tried w both usb hubs and directly into
laptop; same, same.

This's on a HP Pavilion dv4 AMD-64.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:15:42 +0000, s. keeling wrote:

(...)

> Is it just that usb's slow, or is the box doing it wrong? Is it my
> preference for ext2? I've tried w both usb hubs and directly into
> laptop; same, same.

Did you run any read/write speed tests on the flash device?

Googling around, I've found this article you may find interesting:

Increase USB Flash Drive Write Speed
http://linux-howto-guide.blogspot.com/2009/10/increase-usb-flash-drive-write-speed.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 10. 2010 10:35:09 je Camaleón napisal(a):

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:15:42 +0000, s. keeling wrote:

(...)

> Is it just that usb's slow, or is the box doing it wrong? Is it my
> preference for ext2? I've tried w both usb hubs and directly into
> laptop; same, same.

Did you run any read/write speed tests on the flash device?

Googling around, I've found this article you may find interesting:

Increase USB Flash Drive Write Speed
http://linux-howto-guide.blogspot.com/2009/10/increase-usb-flash-drive-write-speed.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

To avoid wild guesses, you could test your USB key on another machine,
monitoring its average read/write speed there; that way, you'd at least
know who's to blame (your computer or your USB key). Maybe you just
have wrong USB settings in your BIOS? Such as, USB set to v1.1 instead
of v2.0, or perhaps USB IRQ disabled ...?

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 PM
"s. keeling"

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:15:42 +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> >
> > Is it just that usb's slow, or is the box doing it wrong? Is it my
> > preference for ext2? I've tried w both usb hubs and directly into
>
> Did you run any read/write speed tests on the flash device?

No, I've just been observing the situation over months (I get by with
monthly backups :-).

> Googling around, I've found this article you may find interesting:
>
> Increase USB Flash Drive Write Speed
> http://linux-howto-guide.blogspot.com/2009/10/increase-usb-flash-drive-write-speed.html

Thanks, it looks interesting. Hard to believe hdparm is the answer to
silicon snailishness ... I'll report back.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 PM
"s. keeling"

Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr>:
> Dne, 01. 10. 2010 10:35:09 je Camaleón napisal(a):
> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 00:15:42 +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> To avoid wild guesses, you could test your USB key on another machine,
> monitoring its average read/write speed there; that way, you'd at least
> know who's to blame (your computer or your USB key). Maybe you just

Yeah, I'll try that, thanks. I could even boot into (yuck) Vista and
see what it does there.

> have wrong USB settings in your BIOS? Such as, USB set to v1.1 instead
> of v2.0, or perhaps USB IRQ disabled ...?

Where the !@#$ do you guys get these 21st Century BIOSes?!? :-( HP
laptops are not so augmented.