Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Patrick Wiseman

Default 'sudo gedit' stopped working

I have a menu item, 'sudo gedit', which has worked for years but just
stopped working (on a current testing system). Running from the
command line, I get:

No protocol specified

(gedit:30084): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

as I do when I try to run gedit in a root terminal. I hope this is
not another example of putting misplaced security concerns ahead of
functionality. It's not a problem with my sudoers file as another
menu item, which runs 'sudo aptitude' in a terminal, works. How can I
run gedit as root?

Patrick

Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a menu item, 'sudo gedit', which has worked for years but just
> stopped working (on a current testing system). *Running from the
> command line, I get:
>
> No protocol specified
>
> (gedit:30084): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>
> as I do when I try to run gedit in a root terminal. *I hope this is
> not another example of putting misplaced security concerns ahead of
> functionality. *It's not a problem with my sudoers file as another
> menu item, which runs 'sudo aptitude' in a terminal, works. *How can I
> run gedit as root?

Sorry to answer my own question - 'gksudo gedit' works (although why
sudo no longer works, I don't know).

Patrick

Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Jordan Metzmeier

Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:43:20 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

>> I have a menu item, 'sudo gedit', which has worked for years but just
>> stopped working (on a current testing system). *. . .
>
> Sorry to answer my own question - 'gksudo gedit' works (although why
> sudo no longer works, I don't know).

Found the answer for ya:

sudo has changed from a blacklist to a whitelist model for
environment variables. I.e., sudo no longer lets DISPLAY through
without you telling it to first. See http://bugs.debian.org/349729
for instructions on workarounds

Ref:
http://old.nabble.com/Using-setenv-DISPLAY-td3261601.html