Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Zhang Weiwu

Default a radar-like tracking device

Being off-topic I don't know which place better to ask such question.

I want to have a radar-like device to track moving object. It should
offer me two piece of information: the angel and the distance of the
object from me. I want to have the similar thing as the radar of
"Conter-Strike" (in game it displays locations of all friendly team
members) or the "Motion Detector" as in Halo (in game it displays
moving objects near-by).

Given the technology available nowadays it's hard to believe such
device not existing for consumers, but not knowing the name of such
device it's hard for me to Google it out. Most google search lands in
GPS tracking devices that offer me a lot of features I don't need. I
don't need to see the object on a map, google map or anything, not need
to know it's latitude/longitude, and I don't need to see the location
on PC, mobile phone and color hand-held display with map on it. I
particularly don't need it to work in global scale of
510GigaSquareMeter (surface of the earth), 300 meter coverage would do.

So if any one came across such a device can you give me a hint?

It should come in pair, one stick/bind on the thing to be tracked,
the other have a radar screen to find its partner. It is not even
necessary have a radar screen, a wrist-watch-like or compass-like
mechanical pointer thing would do.
If it works outdoor it's enough. No need to use indoor.
If it can find the 'partner' in 150 meters it's good enough. 300
meter even better. Longer not needed.

Both are movable, not fixed on the wall.
The information it provides should be close to real-time, update
once per 15 seconds would be enough.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and tolerance of off-topic posts.

P.S.

I also went to local supermarkets, and the things they sell are all GPS
devices, usually around 100USD (not cheap in China). Yet the feature
list on such devices are everything I don't need. Even worse most of
the devices need me to do the math or use a map to calculate the angel
between me and the object being tracked, as they are designed heavily
map-oriented.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Zhang Weiwu