Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Lisi Reisz

Default Lost keyboard in KDE 3.5.10 on Lenny.

I have a fully updated installation of Lenny. 2 days ago my keyboard
suddenly stopped working. There is a long saga involved, but the
end-point, where I am now, is that I have established that something
has got corrupted somehow somewhere in my own personal config files.
Presumably somewhere in .kde. I could copy the file from backup if I
knew one which it was, but I don't want to lose any of my data files
(emails, bookmarks etc.)

So can anyone help? Has anyone any [constructive ;-) ] suggestions?

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:32:43 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I have a fully updated installation of Lenny. 2 days ago my keyboard
> suddenly stopped working. There is a long saga involved, but the
> end-point, where I am now, is that I have established that something has
> got corrupted somehow somewhere in my own personal config files.
> Presumably somewhere in .kde. I could copy the file from backup if I
> knew one which it was, but I don't want to lose any of my data files
> (emails, bookmarks etc.)
>
> So can anyone help? Has anyone any [constructive ;-) ] suggestions?

Have you already tested if the keyboard works when login with a new user?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Camaleón

El 2010-09-30 a las 18:03 +0100, Lisi Reisz escribió:

(replying to list)

> On 30 September 2010 16:42, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:32:43 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >
> >> I have a fully updated installation of Lenny. *2 days ago my keyboard
> >> suddenly stopped working. *There is a long saga involved, but the
> >> end-point, where I am now, is that I have established that something has
> >> got corrupted somehow somewhere in my own personal config files.
> >> Presumably somewhere in .kde. *I could copy the file from backup if I
> >> knew one which it was, but I don't want to lose any of my data files
> >> (emails, bookmarks etc.)
> >>
> >> So can anyone help? *Has anyone any [constructive ;-) ] suggestions?
> >
> > Have you already tested if the keyboard works when login with a new user?
>
> Yes, and it does. That is why I am so sure that the problem lies in
> my personal files - everything else works!

Okay, then tell us a bit more about your problem.

Keyboard type (USB, PS/2)?

Have you tried to attach another keyboard device, just for testing if
it works with your usual user?

Years ago, when I was using KDE3, cleaning the KDE user temp. folder helped a
lot for solving this kind of (weird) problems...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Camaleón

El 2010-09-30 a las 21:25 +0100, Lisi Reisz escribió:

(please, reply to the list so anyone can see your messages, not just me :-) )

> On 30 September 2010 18:16, Camaleón wrote:

> > Okay, then tell us a bit more about your problem.
> >
> > Keyboard type (USB, PS/2)?
>
> I have tried both. Neither works.

Wow.

> > Have you tried to attach another keyboard device, just for testing if
> > it works with your usual user?

> See above!

Yep. Very weird, indeed. I've never seen something like that. Hardware
detection issues (and PS/2 keyboard is a low-lovel peripheral) tends to
be a wide problem affecting all users, not just one. I fail to see how
KDE3 user settings can lead to your current situation :-?

> > Years ago, when I was using KDE3, cleaning the KDE user temp. folder helped a
> > lot for solving this kind of (weird) problems...
>
> Worth a try. Thanks. I'll report back.

Okay :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 01. 10. 2010 09:17:41 je Camaleón napisal(a):

> > Years ago, when I was using KDE3, cleaning the KDE user temp.
folder helped a

> > lot for solving this kind of (weird) problems...
>
> Worth a try. Thanks. I'll report back.

Well, years ago, when I was using KDE3, a gentle soul advised me to
rename my '~' dir, deluser my_user_name, adduser my_user_name, and then
copy the important directories, one by one, from the backed up '~' over
to the new '~' .

You should make sure that the adduser command assigns the new user the
same UID as the deleted user; that way, the new '~' and the backed-up
'~' will have the same ownership.

By logging out and in again after each copied directory, and testing
out the issue, I was able to pinpoint exactly which directory was the
culprit. I can't recall anymore what the problem was, and the procedure
admittedly is a bit tiresome, but it definitely worked for me.

I just hope the MTA doesn't change all the above '~' instances into
smilies ...

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Lisi

On Friday 01 October 2010 09:43:43 Klistvud wrote:

> > folder helped a

> > > Worth a try. Thanks. I'll report back.
>
> Well, years ago, when I was using KDE3, a gentle soul advised me to
> rename my '~' dir, deluser my_user_name, adduser my_user_name, and then
> copy the important directories, one by one, from the backed up '~' over
> to the new '~' .
>
> You should make sure that the adduser command assigns the new user the
> same UID as the deleted user; that way, the new '~' and the backed-up
> '~' will have the same ownership.
>
> By logging out and in again after each copied directory, and testing
> out the issue, I was able to pinpoint exactly which directory was the
> culprit. I can't recall anymore what the problem was, and the procedure
> admittedly is a bit tiresome, but it definitely worked for me.
>
> I just hope the MTA doesn't change all the above '~' instances into
> smilies ...

Thanks, Klistvud. I ought to have thought of that! I shall definitely try
it. But I am somewhat behind having been unable to use my main desktop for
several days now. (This list has been spared the hardware issues I was
having!) Having made my user usable (I installed a second DE - xfce) I shall
temporarily shelve the problem while I catch up.

Lisi

Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Lisi

On Friday 01 October 2010 08:17:41 Camaleón wrote:
> > > Years ago, when I was using KDE3, cleaning the KDE user temp. folder
> > > helped a lot for solving this kind of (weird) problems...
> >
> > Worth a try. Thanks. I'll report back.
>
> Okay :-)

No luck - there weren't many temp files left after all the reboots I have been
having to do.

I found via Google the suggestion of changing to a different DE, so I
downloaded xfce. The keyboard works in xfce, so I have a stop-gap solution
for now.

Thanks for all your help. I'll report back to the list what the result was
when I tried Klistvud's suggestion. It sounds feasible and likely to be
effective - but tedious!

Lisi

Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Greg Madden

On Friday 01 October 2010 02:03:26 Lisi wrote:

> > > Worth a try. Thanks. I'll report back.
> >
> > Okay :-)
>
> No luck - there weren't many temp files left after all the reboots I have
> been having to do.
>
> I found via Google the suggestion of changing to a different DE, so I
> downloaded xfce. The keyboard works in xfce, so I have a stop-gap solution
> for now.
>
> Thanks for all your help. I'll report back to the list what the result was
> when I tried Klistvud's suggestion. It sounds feasible and likely to be
> effective - but tedious!
>
> Lisi

KDE barfs sometimes like this. You don't have to do anything to the user, just
rename your .kde dir to .kde.bk. Log out and back in. Copy files from .kde.bk
to .kde.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Lisi

On Friday 01 October 2010 11:13:30 Greg Madden wrote:

> > > Okay :-)
> >
> > No luck - there weren't many temp files left after all the reboots I have
> > been having to do.
> >
> > I found via Google the suggestion of changing to a different DE, so I
> > downloaded xfce. The keyboard works in xfce, so I have a stop-gap
> > solution for now.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help. I'll report back to the list what the result
> > was when I tried Klistvud's suggestion. It sounds feasible and likely to
> > be effective - but tedious!
> >
> > Lisi
>
> KDE barfs sometimes like this. You don't have to do anything to the user,
> just rename your .kde dir to .kde.bk. Log out and back in. Copy files from
> .kde.bk to .kde.

Thanks, Greg!

Lisi

Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Lisi

Thanks for your reply, Paul.

On Friday 01 October 2010 11:11:44 you wrote:
> I like xfce myself.. nice, light, fully-featured menus..
> if you really like KDE, you might try trinity.
>
> http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

That is my long term aim. But it is still only at beta, and is available
(just about) for Squeeze, but not for Lenny, and Squeeze hasn't got a
fall-back to KDE 3, it only has KDE 4.

I may yet decide that I prefer xfce. But it doesn't seem likely. As you see,
it is my second choice over other DEs after KDE 3.

Lisi