-   -   usefulness of kernel option: RAID-4/RAID-5/RAID-6 Multicore processing (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/433566-usefulness-kernel-option-raid-4-raid-5-raid-6-multicore-processing.html)

lee 09-29-2010 11:13 PM

usefulness of kernel option: RAID-4/RAID-5/RAID-6 Multicore processing

Hi,

how useful is enabling

RAID-4/RAID-5/RAID-6 Multicore processing

in the kernel configuration?

It's an experimental option in 2.6.35.6, and google only showed that
there have been some problems with it in older kernels.

Has anyone enabled it and does it work? Is it working stable enough to
turn it on?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 09-30-2010 01:05 AM

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, lee wrote:
> how useful is enabling
>
> RAID-4/RAID-5/RAID-6 Multicore processing
>
> in the kernel configuration?

It does get faster. But is it the bottleneck in your system? Do you
have a slow CPU, or extremely fast backing storage for it to matter?

> Has anyone enabled it and does it work? Is it working stable enough to
> turn it on?

Does it look like it is "clearly stable enough", and therefore widely
used, if you had to ask about it here in the first place?

Henrique Holschuh

lee 09-30-2010 07:08 AM

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:05:46PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, lee wrote:
> > how useful is enabling
> >
> > RAID-4/RAID-5/RAID-6 Multicore processing
> >
> > in the kernel configuration?
>
> It does get faster. But is it the bottleneck in your system? Do you
> have a slow CPU, or extremely fast backing storage for it to matter?

I don't know if it would matter, but when things get faster with it
enabled, it seems to be a good thing.

> > Has anyone enabled it and does it work? Is it working stable enough to
> > turn it on?
>
> Does it look like it is "clearly stable enough", and therefore widely
> used, if you had to ask about it here in the first place?

Why are you asking this rather than giving a meaningful answer? What's
your experience with this option? Do you really think nobody (except
kernel developers maybe) has enabled kernel options that are
"experimental"?