Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Volkan YAZICI

Default Samsung R540 Video Card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD545v)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> writes:
> I'm having very disappointing moments after switching from Lenovo 3000
> N200 to Samsung R540. It took half of my day to get wireless working.
> Anyway, I installed the "ATI Catalyst 10.9 Proprietary Linux x86 Display
> Driver"[1], but couldn't set the screen resolution to 1600x1200. (From
> Xorg logs, I infer that video card is capable of such screen resolutions
> and I hope screen supports that as well.) I attached my
> atigetsysteminfo.sh output. (It includes dmesg, xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log,
> and tons of other diagnostics.) Would somebody mind helping me to figure
> out what am I missing? Is the system capable of displaying the screen at
> 1600x1200 resolution?

Nevermind. Stupid notebook, it's limited with 1366x768! Damn! Sorry for
the false alarm.

Cheers.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 00:02:43 +0300, Volkan wrote in message
<87ocbg1cwc.fsf@alamut.alborz.net>:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> writes:
> > I'm having very disappointing moments after switching from Lenovo
> > 3000 N200 to Samsung R540. It took half of my day to get wireless
> > working. Anyway, I installed the "ATI Catalyst 10.9 Proprietary
> > Linux x86 Display Driver"[1], but couldn't set the screen
> > resolution to 1600x1200. (From Xorg logs, I infer that video card
> > is capable of such screen resolutions and I hope screen supports
> > that as well.) I attached my atigetsysteminfo.sh output. (It
> > includes dmesg, xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log, and tons of other
> > diagnostics.) Would somebody mind helping me to figure out what am
> > I missing? Is the system capable of displaying the screen at
> > 1600x1200 resolution?
>
> Nevermind. Stupid notebook, it's limited with 1366x768! Damn! Sorry
> for the false alarm.

..to make a little more noise: ;o) Did you try the radeon
and radeonhd drivers?
How do they compare with ATI's proprietary driver on your
notebook, performancewise?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: