-   -   Emacs Error: The encoding "nil" is not known (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/433409-emacs-error-encoding-nil-not-known.html)

T o n g 09-29-2010 05:16 PM

Emacs Error: The encoding "nil" is not known

Hi,

In order to override whatever my shell environment encoding is, I
deliberately set

(setq ispell-dictionary "en_CA-wo_accents")

so that my emacs spell checking works no matter what.

However, the trick ceased to work having updated emacs to v23.2+1-4. Now
I get:

Starting new Ispell process [en_CA-wo_accents] ...
ispell-init-process: Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could
also mean that the file "/usr/lib/aspell/nil.cset" could not be opened
for reading or does not exist.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Thanks

--