Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Mark Allums

Default creating a logical volume with a disk with existing data

This may help answer some LVM questions:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm

HTH

Archive: 4CA3C3EC.6020207@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CA3C3EC.6020207@allums.com

Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Mark Allums

On 9/29/2010 5:51 PM, Mark Allums wrote:

On 9/29/2010 4:53 PM, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

Question 0: won't extending an existing lvm partition fragment it?

Sorry, I missed this question. If the expansion is on a separate disk,
don't worry about it, it will create multiple I/O paths and maybe speed
things up. If it's on the same disk, it's kind of a fragment, but it's
no different than having multiple partitions. It might be bad if some
kinds of layouts had pathological usage, so that the disk was constantly
moving the heads back and forth, but for nearly everything, I wouldn't
worry about it.

Question 1: is it feasable under linux (and an Asus m2npv-vm) to use
RAID as well? I was considering RAIDing 160GB since the drives are of
different sizes, maybe RAID 0 or 1, but i'm not sure such complexity
is worth it and even though the mb supports it, i think it's more sw
than hw-raid. But this is highjaking already.

RAID is definitely feasible under Linux. You would be using software
RAID, but Linux has very good software RAID. No need to use the mb RAID.
Use Linux RAID. (mdraid)

I forgot to mention that there is support for several mb chipset
"fakeraids", the package is called "dmraid" (not to be confused with
mdadm and mdraid).

Forget about it. There's no need to bother with it. Just let Linux see
the disks as normal disks, install the "mdadm" package, and let the
system assemble the arrays at boot time. You can do this at install
time, too, the Debian installer will let you configure Linux software
RAID, and it will install mdadm right from the beginning. (The RAID
support itself is in the kernel. mdadm is a utility.)