Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Michael Tsang

Default How can I get rid of en_US in Iceweasel?

I use the followings:

LANG=en_HK.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_HK.UTF-8:en_GB.UTF-8

I have *no* en_US.UTF-8 locales installed but Iceweasel always falls back to
en_US. It's so frustrating. How can I completely prevent Iceweasel from using
the en_US UI? I have zh_TW UI and en_GB UI installed. I want Iceweasel to use
the en_GB UI instead of the en_US UI,

Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:28:28 +0800, Michael Tsang wrote:

> I use the followings:
>
> LANG=en_HK.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_HK.UTF-8:en_GB.UTF-8
>
> I have *no* en_US.UTF-8 locales installed but Iceweasel always falls
> back to en_US. It's so frustrating. How can I completely prevent
> Iceweasel from using the en_US UI? I have zh_TW UI and en_GB UI
> installed. I want Iceweasel to use the en_GB UI instead of the en_US UI,

Menu edit / preferences / content / languages (select button) and add/
remove from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:52:59 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:28:28 +0800, Michael Tsang wrote:
>
>> I use the followings:
>>
>> LANG=en_HK.UTF-8
>> LANGUAGE=en_HK.UTF-8:en_GB.UTF-8
>>
>> I have *no* en_US.UTF-8 locales installed but Iceweasel always falls
>> back to en_US. It's so frustrating. How can I completely prevent
>> Iceweasel from using the en_US UI? I have zh_TW UI and en_GB UI
>> installed. I want Iceweasel to use the en_GB UI instead of the en_US
>> UI,
>
> Menu edit / preferences / content / languages (select button) and add/
> remove from there.

I've just noted the "UI" part of your message (the response above is just
for character encondings, does not apply for UI).

As per the UI, you'll have to install the corresponding localized package
(iceweasel-l10n-en_HK...) that suits your needs, whether available. Then,
you can manually force the UI to use by exporting first the desired
"LANG" locale. For example:

***
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 iceweasel
***

That launches icewasel UI in english, despite my locale settings:

sm01@stt008:~$ locale | grep -i lang
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Mark Allums

I have *no* en_US.UTF-8 locales installed but Iceweasel always falls back to
en_US. It's so frustrating. How can I completely prevent Iceweasel from using
the en_US UI? I have zh_TW UI and en_GB UI installed. I want Iceweasel to use
the en_GB UI instead of the en_US UI,

Did you look under about:config?

Type about:config into the address bar. I spotted

preference: "general.useragent.locale"
status: "default"
type: "string"
value: "en-US"

in my version.

Double click on a preference line to edit the value.

You may have to install the specific Iceweasel locale package for your
locale.