-   -   unable to run gsynaptics on lenny (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/433110-unable-run-gsynaptics-lenny.html)

vishnu vardhan 09-29-2010 04:54 AM

unable to run gsynaptics on lenny

os : lenny 5.0.4

i have run gsynaptics from command line :
$ gsynaptics

and it has shown the following error :

GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics

i have edited the file of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added support for synaptics.

Section*** "InputClass"
******* Identifier*** "enable synaptics SHMConfig"
******* MatchIsTouchpad*** "on"

******* MatchDevicePath*** "/dev/input/event*"
******* Driver*** *** "synaptics"
******* Option*** *** "SHMConfig"*** "on"
EndSection

but, when i try to run # dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, i am receiving the following error :

xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20100928233119

how should i overcome the above error.

Jordan Metzmeier 09-29-2010 01:45 PM

unable to run gsynaptics on lenny

vishnu vardhan 10-04-2010 05:06 AM

On 09/29/2010 12:54 AM, vishnu vardhan wrote:

> but, when i try to run # dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, i am

> receiving the following error :

> xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration

> file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20100928233119

> how should i overcome the above error.

You should not need to run dpkg-reconfigure, and it will overwrite the

changes you just made as it says. Simply don't run it.

Regards,

- --

Jordan Metzmeier

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CA34315.3050009@gmail.com

i have followed your advice and still i am unable to run gysnaptics.
herewith i am providing link to xorg.o.log : http://pastebin.com/HXCZrMMn

please look into the error.

Jordan Metzmeier 10-12-2010 12:55 AM

On 10/04/2010 01:06 AM, vishnu vardhan wrote:
> i have followed your advice and still i am unable to run gysnaptics.
> herewith i am providing link to xorg.o.log : http://pastebin.com/HXCZrMMn

> please look into the error.

No errors in the xorg.conf. However, I see that your initial error was
reported as a bug: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=586025

The maintainer indicated that the required steps are described in
/usr/share/doc/gsynaptics/README.Debian.

If you find that your answer is not there, I would provide feedback to
the bug report.

Regards,

Jordan Metzmeier

vishnu vardhan 10-22-2010 06:19 AM

unable to run gsynaptics on lenny

i have read the readme. however, there is no .xsession or .xinitrc file on my system. right now i am using debian 5.0.4 and fluxbox on an encrypted lvm. i could not figure out about how to create xsession or xinitc file. i will do some research and let you know the result. perhaps the site of gsynaptics will shed some light about how to configure and add gysnaptic-init. i have added the line for shmconfig and directly run /usr/bin/gysnaptics-init, it shows the error of gysnaptics couldn't initialize.

excuse, i have hit reply button instead of reply all. excuse for sending mail directly to Jordan.
*

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CB3B1F7.8050701@gmail.com

Jordan Metzmeier 10-23-2010 03:18 AM

On 10/22/2010 01:19 AM, vishnu vardhan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM, vishnu vardhan <
> vishnuvardhan.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i have read the readme. however, there is no .xsession or .xinitrc file on
>> my system. right now i am using debian 5.0.4 and fluxbox on an encrypted
>> lvm. i could not figure out about how to create xsession or xinitc file. i
>> will do some research and let you know the result. perhaps the site of
>> gsynaptics will shed some light about how to configure and add
>> gysnaptic-init. i have added the line for shmconfig and directly run
>> /usr/bin/gysnaptics-init, it shows the error of gysnaptics couldn't
>> initialize.

At this point, I am not really sure. Sounds like a bug. What is the
*exact* error? if its graphical, can you attach a screenshot?

Jordan Metzmeier

vishnu vardhan 10-26-2010 05:06 AM

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/22/2010 01:19 AM, vishnu vardhan wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM, vishnu vardhan <

> vishnuvardhan.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> i have read the readme. however, there is no .xsession or .xinitrc file on

>> my system. right now i am using debian 5.0.4 and fluxbox on an encrypted

>> lvm. i could not figure out about how to create xsession or xinitc file. i

>> will do some research and let you know the result. perhaps the site of

>> gsynaptics will shed some light about how to configure and add

>> gysnaptic-init. i have added the line for shmconfig and directly run

>> /usr/bin/gysnaptics-init, it shows the error of gysnaptics couldn't

>> initialize.

At this point, I am not really sure. Sounds like a bug. What is the

*exact* error? if its graphical, can you attach a screenshot?

Jordan Metzmeier

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CC25403.9030002@gmail.com

the gysnaptics is running only from command line :
$ /usr/bin/gysnaptics

however, it is using synclient and is this normal ? i thought i can activate features with a click.
i am attaching an image.

i have added the following lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf :

----------------------

Section "InputDevice"
*** Identifier*** "SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad"
*** Driver*** "synaptics"

******* Option*** "SendCoreEvents"*** "true"
*** Option*** "Device"*** "/dev/psaux"
*** Option*** "Protocol"
*** Option*** "HorizEdgeScroll"*** "0"

*** Option*** "SHMConfig"*** "true"
EndSection

Section*** "ServerLayout"
*** Identifier*** "Default Server Layout"
*** Screen*** "Default Screen"
*** InputDevice*** "Generic Keyboard" "Core Keyboard"

*** InputDevice*** "SynPS/2 Synaptics Touchpad" "Core Pointer"
EndSection

Section*** "Module"
Load*** "synaptics"
EndSection

-------------------

the following contains about the error if i run gsynaptics from menu in .xsession-error file :

/bin/bash: /usr/bin/gysnaptics: No such file or directory

$ synclient -l :
Parameter settings:

*** LeftEdge*************** = 1872

*** RightEdge************** = 5072

*** TopEdge**************** = 1712

*** BottomEdge************* = 4144

*** FingerLow************** = 25

*** FingerHigh************* = 30

*** FingerPress************ = 256

*** MaxTapTime************* = 180

*** MaxTapMove************* = 220

*** MaxDoubleTapTime******* = 180

*** SingleTapTimeout******* = 180

*** ClickTime************** = 100

*** FastTaps*************** = 0

*** EmulateMidButtonTime*** = 75

*** EmulateTwoFingerMinZ*** = 257

*** VertScrollDelta******** = 60

*** HorizScrollDelta******* = 80

*** VertEdgeScroll********* = 1

*** HorizEdgeScroll******** = 0

*** CornerCoasting********* = 0

*** VertTwoFingerScroll**** = 0

*** HorizTwoFingerScroll*** = 0

*** MinSpeed*************** = 0.0822368

*** MaxSpeed*************** = 0.197368

*** AccelFactor************ = 0.00164474

*** TrackstickSpeed******** = 40

*** EdgeMotionMinZ********* = 30

*** EdgeMotionMaxZ********* = 160

*** EdgeMotionMinSpeed***** = 1

*** EdgeMotionMaxSpeed***** = 304

*** EdgeMotionUseAlways**** = 0

*** UpDownScrolling******** = 1

*** LeftRightScrolling***** = 1

*** UpDownScrollRepeat***** = 1

*** LeftRightScrollRepeat** = 1

*** ScrollButtonRepeat***** = 100

*** TouchpadOff************ = 0

*** GuestMouseOff********** = 0

*** LockedDrags************ = 0

*** LockedDragTimeout****** = 5000

*** RTCornerButton********* = 2

*** RBCornerButton********* = 3

*** LTCornerButton********* = 0

*** LBCornerButton********* = 0

*** TapButton1************* = 1

*** TapButton2************* = 2

*** TapButton3************* = 3

*** CircularScrolling****** = 0

*** CircScrollDelta******** = 0.1

*** CircScrollTrigger****** = 0

*** CircularPad************ = 0

*** PalmDetect************* = 1

*** PalmMinWidth*********** = 10

*** PalmMinZ*************** = 200

*** CoastingSpeed********** = 0

*** PressureMotionMinZ***** = 30

*** PressureMotionMaxZ***** = 160

*** PressureMotionMinFactor = 1

*** PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1

*** GrabEventDevice******** = 1

$ synclient -h :
Hardware properties:
*** Can't detect hardware properties.

*** This is normal if you are running linux kernel 2.6.
*** Check the kernel log for touchpad hardware information.
Driver version: 1406

thank you.