FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Peter Tenenbaum
 
Default Issue with fast-user-switcher-applet

Hi, everyone --

I'm having an issue with the fast-user-switcher-applet (2.24.0) on squeeze.* The problem is this:* every so often, it stops switching!* I left-click on it on the panel, pull down to the user I want to switch to, and -- nothing happens.* It seems to be a problem with the applet itself, since I can get it to work correctly again by removing the applet from the panel and reattaching it.


So, two questions:

First, does anyone else have this problem?* I don't see any Debian bugs with fast-user-switcher-applet, but I may not be searching correctly.* I'm reluctant to enter a bug report for something which I can't reliably reproduce and which nobody else has seen (to me, that's more of a UFO sighting than a bug report).


Second:* is there a command I can use at the command line to switch between multiple users who are logged in and running gnome, without the need of passwords?* In other words, I'd like to replicate the FUSA functionality with a linux command if possible.* We really only have 2 accounts here (mine and my wife's), so I could put a shortcut on her menus or desktop which switches to me, and one on mine which switches to her.


Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
-PT
 
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Issue with fast-user-switcher-applet

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:24:58 -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

(...)

> So, two questions:
>
> First, does anyone else have this problem? I don't see any Debian bugs
> with fast-user-switcher-applet, but I may not be searching correctly.

There is just one old bug filed:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=fast-user-switchapplet

> I'm reluctant to enter a bug report for something which I can't reliably
> reproduce and which nobody else has seen (to me, that's more of a UFO
> sighting than a bug report).

Dunno for that applet, but using the default "logout → user switching"
facility I also have to enter the password for each user, yep. Maybe
that's a "by design" security feature :-?

> Second: is there a command I can use at the command line to switch
> between multiple users who are logged in and running gnome, without the
> need of passwords?

Mmmm, I think once you've already logged in on each session you can
switch between them by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+F7" / "Ctrl+Alt+F8" and no
password is prompted. That requires disabling "locking" the screen after
an idle period (you can test and check this point).

> In other words, I'd like to replicate the FUSA
> functionality with a linux command if possible. We really only have 2
> accounts here (mine and my wife's), so I could put a shortcut on her
> menus or desktop which switches to me, and one on mine which switches to
> her.

I've never heard about that "FUSA" thing. Just out of curiosity, what is
it? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.09.29.18.48.08@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.09.29.18.48.08@gmail.com
 
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Peter Tenenbaum
 
Default Issue with fast-user-switcher-applet

Camaleon --

Thanks, the Ctrl+Alt+F7/8 is exactly what I'm looking for!*

Sorry for the confusion about FUSA, that's "fast user-switcher applet."* I'd seen it written that way when I google'd for other people reporting the same error, and decided to try to be cool and use the abbreviation.


-PT

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, everyone --

I'm having an issue with the fast-user-switcher-applet (2.24.0) on squeeze.* The problem is this:* every so often, it stops switching!* I left-click on it on the panel, pull down to the user I want to switch to, and -- nothing happens.* It seems to be a problem with the applet itself, since I can get it to work correctly again by removing the applet from the panel and reattaching it.



So, two questions:

First, does anyone else have this problem?* I don't see any Debian bugs with fast-user-switcher-applet, but I may not be searching correctly.* I'm reluctant to enter a bug report for something which I can't reliably reproduce and which nobody else has seen (to me, that's more of a UFO sighting than a bug report).



Second:* is there a command I can use at the command line to switch between multiple users who are logged in and running gnome, without the need of passwords?* In other words, I'd like to replicate the FUSA functionality with a linux command if possible.* We really only have 2 accounts here (mine and my wife's), so I could put a shortcut on her menus or desktop which switches to me, and one on mine which switches to her.



Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
-PT
 
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default Issue with fast-user-switcher-applet

On Wed September 29 2010, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> Second:* is there a command I can use at the command line to switch between
> multiple users who are logged in and running gnome, without the need of
> passwords?* In other words, I'd like to replicate the FUSA functionality
> with a linux command if possible.* We really only have 2 accounts here
> (mine and my wife's), so I could put a shortcut on her menus or desktop
> which switches to me, and one on mine which switches to her.

you need to be aware that it may NOT always be F7-F8.. right now mine is F8 &
F11.. I was F7, but I logged out, logged in guest as F9, logged me in/out &
ended up me being F11..
I was trying to recall there was supposed to be a command that allowed it to
always use F7
deallocvt 7

but either it didn't work, or I did it wrong..
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201010090613.34382.debian@pcartwright.com">http://lists.debian.org/201010090613.34382.debian@pcartwright.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org