Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Tong Sun

Default Provide the default GNOME theme in gnome-core please

Package: gnome-core
Version: 1:2.30+1
Severity: wishlist

Hi,

I'm quite satisfied with the Clearlooks to be the default GNOME theme,
and I don't want anything else.

Please provide the default GNOME theme (whatever it is) in gnome-core,
instead of putting it anywhere else. The current situation for me is,
I either don't have any GNOME theme, or am forced to drag in tons of
theme that I never need.

So once again, please provide the default GNOME theme in gnome-core.

Thanks.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
APT prefers testing
APT policy: (360, 'testing'), (300, 'testing'), (50, 'unstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.35-grml64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores; PREEMPT)
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages gnome-core depends on:
ii eog 2.30.2-1 Eye of GNOME graphics viewer progr
ii gedit 2.30.3-1 official text editor of the GNOME
ii gnome-applets 2.30.0-3 Various applets for the GNOME pane
ii gnome-control-center 1:2.30.1-2 utilities to configure the GNOME d
ii gnome-icon-theme 2.30.3-1 GNOME Desktop icon theme
ii gnome-menus 2.30.2-1 an implementation of the freedeskt
ii gnome-panel 2.30.2-1 launcher and docking facility for
ii gnome-power-manager 2.30.1-1 power management tool for the GNOM
ii gnome-session 2.30.2-1 The GNOME Session Manager - GNOME
ii gnome-settings-daemon 2.30.2-1 daemon handling the GNOME session
ii gnome-terminal 2.30.2-1 The GNOME terminal emulator applic
ii gvfs 1.6.3-1 userspace virtual filesystem - ser
ii metacity 1:2.30.1-2 lightweight GTK+ window manager
ii nautilus 2.30.1-1 file manager and graphical shell f
ii yelp 2.30.1+webkit-1 Help browser for GNOME

gnome-core recommends no packages.

Versions of packages gnome-core suggests:
pn gnome-desktop-environment <none> (no description available)

-- no debconf information

Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Camale髇

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:24:50 -0400, Tong Sun wrote:

> I'm quite satisfied with the Clearlooks to be the default GNOME theme,
> and I don't want anything else.
>
> Please provide the default GNOME theme (whatever it is) in gnome-core,
> instead of putting it anywhere else. The current situation for me is, I
> either don't have any GNOME theme, or am forced to drag in tons of
> theme that I never need.

+5

I love Clearlooks (and GNOME icon set) and had to download from upstream
GNOME project in order to have it available in Squeeze :-/

Greetings,

--
Camale髇

Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 29. 09. 2010 12:20:16 je Camale髇 napisal(a):
> Please provide the default GNOME theme (whatever it is) in
gnome-core,
> instead of putting it anywhere else. The current situation for me
is, I

> either don't have any GNOME theme,

[OT] Just wondering -- how does Gnome look like with "no theme"? No
desktop, menus, icons, bars at all or what?

> or am forced to drag in tons of
> theme that I never need.

+5

I love Clearlooks (and GNOME icon set) and had to download from
upstream

GNOME project in order to have it available in Squeeze :-/

Greetings,

--
Camale髇

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
T o n g

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:34:19 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> [OT] Just wondering -- how does Gnome look like with "no theme"? No
> desktop, menus, icons, bars at all or what?

Honesty, I don't know. I don't actually use Gnome, but fluxbox. I need
the theme just get my Gtk apps straight. Wondering how my fluxbox
"desktop" look like? -- blank, with indistinguishable hatched lines
background. That's it.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM
T o n g

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:20:16 +0000, Camale贸n wrote:

> +5
>
> I love Clearlooks (and GNOME icon set) and had to download from upstream
> GNOME project in order to have it available in Squeeze :-/

FYI, the request has been rejected with

- I don鈥檛 think it is worth splitting.
- need a better rationale
- WTF is that debian-user Cc?

So I plead anyone who don't like junks in your system please
follow up to 598448@bugs.debian.org, and try to convince the DD.

THANKS A LOT!

BTW, anyone want an easiest way to customize you own gtk theme? please
follow up here. Just several lines of config file, you can turn your
Clearlooks theme to the color your like. Here is what mine looks like:

http://imagebin.ca/view/xd6AaTMA.html

Old 09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Camale贸n

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:18:46 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:20:16 +0000, Camale贸n wrote:
>
>> +5
>>
>> I love Clearlooks (and GNOME icon set) and had to download from
>> upstream GNOME project in order to have it available in Squeeze :-/
>
> FYI, the request has been rejected with
>
> - I don鈥檛 think it is worth splitting.
> - need a better rationale
> - WTF is that debian-user Cc?

Mmm, it hasn't been rejected (at least by now). DD asks you a reason for
achieve the change...

> So I plead anyone who don't like junks in your system please follow up
> to 598448@bugs.debian.org, and try to convince the DD.

Ugh, convince developers is a hard (and consuming) task :-P

Anyway, I'll add my comments to the bug (time permitting), but have no
expectations at all.

Greetings,

--
Camale贸n

Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Camale贸n

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:41:06 +0000, Camale贸n wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:18:46 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:20:16 +0000, Camale贸n wrote:
>>
>>> +5
>>>
>>> I love Clearlooks (and GNOME icon set) and had to download from
>>> upstream GNOME project in order to have it available in Squeeze :-/

I've done a bit more debugging on this matter.

I launched the squeeze VM machine and "gnome-themes" package is currently
installed, so... what I was missing? Ah, okay, it was the icon set
(Tango) that has been replaced with another one I don't like at all. But
so far, that's a different issue.

>> FYI, the request has been rejected with
>>
>> - I don鈥檛 think it is worth splitting. - need a better rationale
>> - WTF is that debian-user Cc?

> Mmm, it hasn't been rejected (at least by now). DD asks you a reason for
> achieve the change...
>
>> So I plead anyone who don't like junks in your system please follow up
>> to 598448@bugs.debian.org, and try to convince the DD.
>
> Ugh, convince developers is a hard (and consuming) task :-P
>
> Anyway, I'll add my comments to the bug (time permitting), but have no
> expectations at all.

Well, let's see. After a bit digging, I'm afraid I have to agree with DD
this time.

I guess you did not receive the "gnome-themes" packages because you
didn't pull "gnome-desktop-environment" (the latter does require "gnome-
themes") and just got the bare gnome environment (OTOH, "gnome-core"
installs only the essential components so is understandable that people
pulling this package does not want to install any other themes nor
additional "visual" schemas).

So, to recap. You better install "gnome-themes" that will only take ~2
MiB of your hard disk space and let things to stay as they are now (as
they're in the right manner, IMO).

Greetings,

--
Camale贸n

Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Arthur Machlas

>>> FYI, the request has been rejected with
>>>
>>> - I don鈥檛 think it is worth splitting. - need a better rationale
>>> - WTF is that debian-user Cc?
>>>
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=598448
>>
>> Mmm, it hasn't been rejected (at least by now). DD asks you a reason for
>> achieve the change...
>>
>>> So I plead anyone who don't like junks in your system please follow up
>>> to 598448@bugs.debian.org, and try to convince the DD.
>>
>> Ugh, convince developers is a hard (and consuming) task :-P
>>
>> Anyway, I'll add my comments to the bug (time permitting), but have no
>> expectations at all.

Although I disagree with your bug report, and think the DD is right on
this one, if you insist on pressing your case I would make an argument
along the lines of "A default icon theme is included as part of the
gnome-core package, however no gtk theme is included." It's a losing
argument IMHO, but at least it's an argument.