Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Tyler Smith

Default Printer paused, "/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed"

Hi,

I irregularly have a problem when trying to print to a network printer
from my Debian Testing laptop.

Initially, after setting the printer up via the CUPS web interface,
everything worked fine. Now, sometimes, sending a job to the printer
results in the printer reporting (via localhost:631/printers) that its
state is "Paused", and "/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed".

I don't yet know why it works sometimes and not others. I've tried
restarting CUPS (/etc/init.d/cups restart), but that doesn't seem to
help. I tried google but found either general discussions that didn't
address my specific problem, or detailed discussions I didn't
understand. I think I've got the printer itself properly configured, as
it does work occasionally, and I had no problems for the first six
months or more after installing it.

What should I try next?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tyler

Old 09-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:15:10 -0400, Tyler Smith wrote:

> Initially, after setting the printer up via the CUPS web interface,
> everything worked fine. Now, sometimes, sending a job to the printer
> results in the printer reporting (via localhost:631/printers) that its
> state is "Paused", and "/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed".

(...)

By Googling around, it seems to be a problem with "avahi", so you can try
restarting "avahi-daemon" service.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Tyler Smith

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:15:10 -0400, Tyler Smith wrote:
>
>> Initially, after setting the printer up via the CUPS web interface,
>> everything worked fine. Now, sometimes, sending a job to the printer
>> results in the printer reporting (via localhost:631/printers) that its
>> state is "Paused", and "/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed".
>
> (...)
>
> By Googling around, it seems to be a problem with "avahi", so you can try
> restarting "avahi-daemon" service.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I also found that with Google, and tried
restarting avahi-daemon without success.

Thanks,

Tyler

Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:21:08 -0400, Tyler Smith wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:15:10 -0400, Tyler Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Initially, after setting the printer up via the CUPS web interface,
>>> everything worked fine. Now, sometimes, sending a job to the printer
>>> results in the printer reporting (via localhost:631/printers) that its
>>> state is "Paused", and "/usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd failed".
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> By Googling around, it seems to be a problem with "avahi", so you can
>> try restarting "avahi-daemon" service.
>>

> Sorry, I should have mentioned I also found that with Google, and tried
> restarting avahi-daemon without success.

How did you setup the printer?

Try by using a "socket://" or "ipp://" URI and the IP address of the
printer/machine instead using its name to avoid "dnssd" service comes
into play.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Tyler Smith

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>> Sorry, I should have mentioned I also found that with Google, and tried
>> restarting avahi-daemon without success.
>
> How did you setup the printer?
>
> Try by using a "socket://" or "ipp://" URI and the IP address of the
> printer/machine instead using its name to avoid "dnssd" service comes
> into play.

Thanks. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, then stopped again. After
that I reconfigured the printer using socket://<ip>:9100 (for an hp
printer) and it seems to work again without requiring a reboot or mystic
incantations.

Cheers,

Tyler