Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Alexander Batischev

Default allow_cancellation in /etc/e2fsck.conf doesn't work

Hi!

Today when filesystem check started I decided to try the feature I enabled once
ago - I hit Ctrl-C expecting to terminate the check for this time. Yeah, it
terminated, but filesystem seem to be remounted to read only (through there was
no messages saying that), because when init scripts proceed, I've got a lot of
"can't write pid" messages, so system didn't boot at all. I rebooted it, wait
while check finished, and all seems okay.

Here's my /etc/e2fsck.conf:

[options]
allow_cancellation = true

As you can see, there's no other options - just that one mentioned in manpage.
But it doesn't work.

I have only one partition which is /. Here's an entry from /etc/fstab:

UUID=846ddd8e-f5f4-474d-8f80-0f4ab5fc6c29 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

I first though that it may be because of "remount-to" option, but after short
thinking decided it can't be - according to man, if allow_cancellation enabled
and I hit ^C, fsck returns exit code 0, which means "all is ok, no errors". Or
am I wrong?

May it be because partition is root?

Yeah, I do some googling, but no luck - the only thread (mirrored here and
there) is Debian Bug #593620 [1], but there's nothing useful there. I can't use
Ted's suggestions from there because if I fsck mounted filesystem, I may damage
it, and as far as it's / it can't be remounted to read-only.

1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=593620

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81