Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Shuanghe

Default Debian Sid questions on compiz, missing xorg.conf etc

Hi, dear all Debian user,I have a few questions regarding the Debian Sid installation, missing xorg.conf and functionality of Compiz.
1. I installed a few days ago the Sid (using businesscard iso) in my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. More or less everything seems OK. There're 2 problems though that I can see immediately after the installation.*
One thing is that my touchpad didn't work 100%. I mean I can move the mouse point and the horizontal and vertical scroll bar work fine but I CANNOT use "touch" for click. I had to click the 2 buttons below the touchpad for that. It's not a big problem but it's annoying. Can anyone helps to solve this problem?
The other thing is that the installation didn't recognize my Windows OS. Well, it did says during the installation that there's Windows OS on the hard drive so I installed grub in MBR but grub didn't pick the windows up when I rebooted the PC. I had to manually enable it after googling around. Is this a bug? Anyway, I'm pretty new so I don't know how to report a bug even if it is. So just a comment here.
2. I installed compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk and some extra fusion packages (and of course, the Nvidia drive). However when I open CCSM and enabled some nice shiny animates it didn't work at all. there's compiz wiki http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz saying you have to edit xorg.conf manually. Until then I found out that I don't even have this file. Should I manually write one? but how? I tried to create a xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and copy+paste the paragraph from that wiki, and then "compiz --replace " with and without sudo, no luck. after rebooting, ooops, no gnome desktop anymore. after deleting the file everything went back as before. But I really like some of the compiz functions such as scale addons and Expo* for quick picking up the windows. Any help here please?

by the way, I installed nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-486, there's another with name nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-686. No idea what's the difference.

Thanks,

*

Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 14:34, Shuanghe <tworiversfolk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, dear all Debian user,
>
> I have a few questions regarding the Debian Sid installation, missing
> xorg.conf and functionality of Compiz.
>
> 1. I installed a few days ago the Sid (using businesscard iso) in my Dell
> Inspiron 9300 laptop. More or less everything seems OK. There're 2 problems
> though that I can see immediately after the installation.
>
> One thing is that my touchpad didn't work 100%. I mean I can move the mouse
> point and the horizontal and vertical scroll bar work fine but I CANNOT use
> "touch" for click. I had to click the 2 buttons below the touchpad for that.
> It's not a big problem but it's annoying. Can anyone helps to solve this
> problem?

This should help some:
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad#Debiansqueeze.2Ckernel2.6.32-4andlater.2CXorg7.5

> The other thing is that the installation didn't recognize my Windows OS.
> Well, it did says during the installation that there's Windows OS on the
> hard drive so I installed grub in MBR but grub didn't pick the windows up
> when I rebooted the PC. I had to manually enable it after googling around.
> Is this a bug? Anyway, I'm pretty new so I don't know how to report a bug
> even if it is. So just a comment here.

Grub2 picked my Windows partition when I created it, so yes, that's a
regression.
Use the "reportbug" command: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

> 2. I installed compiz compizconfig-settings-manager
> compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk and some extra fusion
> packages (and of course, the Nvidia drive). However when I open CCSM and
> enabled some nice shiny animates it didn't work at all. there's compiz wiki
> http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz saying you have to edit xorg.conf manually.
> Until then I found out that I don't even have this file. Should I manually
> write one? but how?

You generally don't need one anymore, but sometimes you need a partial
one to get certain things working. I don't have time ATM to go into it.

>I tried to create a xorg.conf in /etc/X11 and copy+paste
> the paragraph from that wiki, and then "compiz --replace " with and without
> sudo, no luck. after rebooting, ooops, no gnome desktop anymore. after
> deleting the file everything went back as before. But I really like some of
> the compiz functions such as scale addons and Expo* for quick picking up the
> windows. Any help here please?

I don't know much about Compiz, and I don't touch binary drivers (actually,
the Nouveau Open Source drivers might work for you, depends on your card),
so maybe someone else can help.

> by the way, I installed nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-486, there's another with
> name nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-686. No idea what's the difference.

*-486 means it was compiled to work even on a 486 (do any of the cards supported
by that driver even work in a 486?), *-686 means the compile included additional
optimizations for the 686 (MMX, SSE, etc).

Cheers,

Kelly Clowers

Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Shuanghe

Thanks a lot Kelly. just letting you know that now the tapping on touchpad works following the instruction in the link you provided.!!