FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Kumar Appaiah
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

Dear Camaleón,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 09:10:12PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:51:14 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>
> > I have a problem opening the following PDF:
> >
> > http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-
> Interview-Weblayout.pdf
>
> It opens fine here with Evince (lenny).
>
> > All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> > some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>
> Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)
>
> Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
> Symbol.

Let me go back home and check it (on this machine, I don't have
install privileges).

Thanks!

Kumar


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100927212744.GE20677@bowser.ece.utexas.edu">http ://lists.debian.org/20100927212744.GE20677@bowser.ece.utexas.edu
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Mark Goldshtein
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:11:32AM +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>> > I have a problem opening the following PDF:
>> >
>> > http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf
>> >
>> > All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
>> > some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>> >
>> > I use squeeze/sid, and can give you package versions if you could tell
>> > me which ones would be useful.
>> >
>>
>> Okay, have you tried to open this file with a standard app to view PDF
>> docs? I mean, have you tried Acrobat Reader?
>
> On another machine (CentOS) on which Acrobat is installed, I can
> confirm that Acrobat loads the document properly. But the free PDF
> viewers on that machine perform as badly as the ones in Debian.
>

Looking at the size and content of your problem PDF, I guess, it is
does not includes fonts. So, Camaleón is right, probably you need to
install MS TTF core fonts for proper rendering of that PDF.


--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=ajThBOLngE+4m+mZ3UnKrp39C5j1CJXXJnZ2L@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=ajThBOLngE+4m+mZ3UnKrp39C5j1CJXXJnZ2L@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 01:11:32 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>> Dear Debian users,
>>
>> I have a problem opening the following PDF:
>>
>> http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-
Interview-Weblayout.pdf
>>
>> All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
>> some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>>
>> I use squeeze/sid, and can give you package versions if you could tell
>> me which ones would be useful.
>>
>>
> Okay, have you tried to open this file with a standard app to view PDF
> docs? I mean, have you tried Acrobat Reader?

Evince/Okular/xpdf should work just fine.

Geetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.09.27.21.36.19@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.09.27.21.36.19@gmail.com
 
Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:51 -0500 Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> I have a problem opening the following PDF:
>
> http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf
>
> All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> some fonts, or is there something else amiss?

If you open this pdf with evince, and have a look at
File > Properties > tab 'Fonts', then you will see that all fonts
except SymbolMT are 'not embedded', which means that they are missing
from the pdf. A good pdf should contain the used fonts, so it is
clearly at fault here.

If you open the pdf with Adobe Reader, and have a look at
File > Properties > tab 'Fonts', then you see that Adobe Reader
replaces the missing fonts with other fonts that it apparently carries
with it. Notably, the main text font, which is Garamond, is replaced
with 'Adobe Serif MM', and although it looks fine, it differs from the
original font.

Installing msttcorefonts does not help here, because it does not
contain the Garamond font. AFAICT Garamond is part of W2000 and XP.

One option would be to get the Garamond font (three .ttf files) from
some Windows installation and install it, e.g. just by putting it into
~/.fonts . I see that evince shows the text just fine then.

Another option would be to install texlive-fonts-extra, which also
contains the Garamond font. However, if you don't have texlive
installed, it takes hundreds of MBs of dependencies with it....


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100928012012.5f5f12f5.shiems146@kpnplanet.nl">ht tp://lists.debian.org/20100928012012.5f5f12f5.shiems146@kpnplanet.nl
 
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Kumar Appaiah
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

Dear Sjoerd,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:20:12AM +0200, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:51 -0500 Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > I have a problem opening the following PDF:
> >
> > http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf
> >
> > All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> > some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>
> If you open this pdf with evince, and have a look at
> File > Properties > tab 'Fonts', then you will see that all fonts
> except SymbolMT are 'not embedded', which means that they are missing
> from the pdf. A good pdf should contain the used fonts, so it is
> clearly at fault here.

Indeed. I can confirm that this is the case.

> If you open the pdf with Adobe Reader, and have a look at
> File > Properties > tab 'Fonts', then you see that Adobe Reader
> replaces the missing fonts with other fonts that it apparently carries
> with it. Notably, the main text font, which is Garamond, is replaced
> with 'Adobe Serif MM', and although it looks fine, it differs from the
> original font.
>
> Installing msttcorefonts does not help here, because it does not
> contain the Garamond font. AFAICT Garamond is part of W2000 and XP.

Yes, since I have the msttcorefonts installed.

> One option would be to get the Garamond font (three .ttf files) from
> some Windows installation and install it, e.g. just by putting it into
> ~/.fonts . I see that evince shows the text just fine then.

Thanks. This does seem to work; but there is the slight problem that
the characters umlauts didn't render properly; that is probably
because the version of the font I used didn't have that encoding. But
this is something I can get over myself.

Thanks again!

Kumar
--
But what can you do with it?
-- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100928001336.GA30756@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in" >http://lists.debian.org/20100928001336.GA30756@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in
 
Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Doug
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On 9/27/2010 4:51 PM, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

Dear Debian users,

I have a problem opening the following PDF:

http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf

All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
some fonts, or is there something else amiss?

I use squeeze/sid, and can give you package versions if you could tell
me which ones would be useful.

Thanks!

Kumar


Just as a sanity test, I opened the file in Windows, and it works
perfectly. However, unless you read German, don't bother! (It's

not difficult German, but there it is!)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4CA13C85.8060309@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CA13C85.8060309@optonline.net
 
Old 09-28-2010, 04:01 AM
Kumar Appaiah
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

Dear Doug,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 08:53:25PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 9/27/2010 4:51 PM, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> >I have a problem opening the following PDF:
> >
> >http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf
> >
> >All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> >some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>
> >I use squeeze/sid, and can give you package versions if you could tell
> >me which ones would be useful.
>
> Just as a sanity test, I opened the file in Windows, and it works
> perfectly. However, unless you read German, don't bother! (It's
> not difficult German, but there it is!)

Ich weiß dass dieses Dokument in Deutsch ist. Ich möchte es lesen für
die Übersetzung der Artikel auf Englisch für meine Arbeit. :-)

(That was a German n00b's attempt to tell Doug that I am aware that
the document is in German, and I want to read it in order to translate
it into English as part of my work. ;-))

Kumar
--
If loving linux is wrong, I dont wanna be right.
-- Topic for #LinuxGER


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100928040135.GA2774@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in"> http://lists.debian.org/20100928040135.GA2774@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in
 
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:27:44 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

>> > All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I
>> > missing some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>>
>> Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)
>>
>> Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
>> Symbol.
>
> Let me go back home and check it (on this machine, I don't have install
> privileges).

No installation privileges needed. Just drop (copy/paste) all your MS
*.ttf font into your user's "~/.fonts" folder and you're done :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.09.28.10.18.46@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.09.28.10.18.46@gmail.com
 
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Kumar Appaiah
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:18:46AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:27:44 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>
> >> > All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I
> >> > missing some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
> >>
> >> Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)
> >>
> >> Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
> >> Symbol.
> >
> > Let me go back home and check it (on this machine, I don't have install
> > privileges).
>
> No installation privileges needed. Just drop (copy/paste) all your MS
> *.ttf font into your user's "~/.fonts" folder and you're done :-)

Worked fine. Thanks! :-)

Kumar
--
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US companies
like Microsoft." - Some AOL'er.
"To this end we dedicate ourselves..." -Don
-- From the sig of "Don", don@cs.byu.edu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100928122012.GB11510@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in" >http://lists.debian.org/20100928122012.GB11510@bluemoon.alumni.iitm.ac.in
 
Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Doug
 
Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On 9/28/2010 6:18 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:27:44 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:


All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I
missing some fonts, or is there something else amiss?


Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)

Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
Symbol.


Let me go back home and check it (on this machine, I don't have install
privileges).


No installation privileges needed. Just drop (copy/paste) all your MS
*.ttf font into your user's "~/.fonts" folder and you're done :-)

Greetings,



Because I have several Linux distros as well as WinXP on one computer, I
can search (from Linux) and find a C:WindowsFonts directory, with
*.ttf files, so I suppose I could copy all of these into some
Linux directory.

Looking in Debian squeeze, there are /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ and then
some subdirectories like /freefont, /dejavu /liberation, and a

couple of others, with differing numbers of fonts in each. Dejavu
has 21 variations, the most.

Looking in Ubuntu 10.04.1 I find a /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont
directory, which seems to have 12 fonts listed, and where I suppose I
could dump the Win *.ttf. Would this be the right place?


Looking in PCLINUXOS 2010, I find about 55 .ttf fonts in /usr/share/
fonts/webcore/ including Times, "couri" and arial.

I need more instruction. I've been playing around with Linux
for some time, but only recently decided to get serious about it.
So, in that respect, I'm really a newbie. So help, please.

For instance, how does a program like OOo or Thunderbird, or the
pdf reader, etc., know which subdirectory to pick its fonts from?
(That would kind of indicate where additional fonts should be
imported to.)

--doug

Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4CA2A838.8020403@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CA2A838.8020403@optonline.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org