Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Kumar Appaiah

Default Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

Dear Debian users,

I have a problem opening the following PDF:

http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf

All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
some fonts, or is there something else amiss?

I use squeeze/sid, and can give you package versions if you could tell
me which ones would be useful.

Thanks!

Kumar

Old 09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:51:14 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

> I have a problem opening the following PDF:
>
> http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-
Interview-Weblayout.pdf

It opens fine here with Evince (lenny).

> All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> some fonts, or is there something else amiss?

Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)

Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
Symbol.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> Dear Debian users,
>
> I have a problem opening the following PDF:
>
> http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-Interview-Weblayout.pdf
>
> All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
> some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>
> I use squeeze/sid, and can give you package versions if you could tell
> me which ones would be useful.

Okay, have you tried to open this file with a standard app to view PDF
docs? I mean, have you tried Acrobat Reader?

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:51:14 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>
>> I have a problem opening the following PDF:
>>
>> http://www.wiley-vch.de/berlin/journals/phiuz/07-04/Weizsaecker-
> Interview-Weblayout.pdf
>
> It opens fine here with Evince (lenny).
>
>> All PDF viewers on Debian seem to produce garbled output. Am I missing
>> some fonts, or is there something else amiss?
>
> Most surely, yes. I've got all MS TrueType fonts installed O:-)
>
> Evince lists as used in that PDF: Arial, Garamond, Times News Roman and
> Symbol.

Have none of MS fonts installed. PDF looking fair. No garbage at all.

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein