Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
"Walton, Bryan K"

Default slapcat - unclean shutdown detected; attempting recovery.

Hi everybody,

So, I've got an openldap server which was upgraded last week from Lenny
to Squeeze. It has a Berkeley Database backend. Since the upgrade,
when I run "slapcat -l dump.ldif" on slapd to dump the directory to an
LDIF file, it get the following error:

bdb_db_open: database "dc=i-clic,dc=uihc,dc=uiowa,dc=edu": unclean
shutdown detected; attempting recovery.
bdb_db_open: database "dc=i-clic,dc=uihc,dc=uiowa,dc=edu": recovery
skipped in read-only mode. Run manual recovery if errors are
encountered.

I get this error every time. I also get this error when I run slaptest.

After doing some research online, I have installed db4.8-util and have
run:

db4.8-recover
db4.8-checkpoint -1

These commands seem to run fine. I have verified that my slapd instance
is using 4.8 (4.8.30). However, I can immediately run the slapcat or
slaptest and the same error repeats itself.

BTW, the version of slapd is 2.4.23-6.

Any suggestions for getting rid of this error?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Lambert JEANNOU

Hope you 'll excuse me for my bad english.
I have the same problem with my slapd 2.4.23-7 on a new squeeze.

unclean shutdown detected; attempting recovery.
recovery skipped in read-only mode. Run manual recovery if errors are
encountered.

I have tried the following :

# rm -rf /var/lib/ldap
# echo -en "set_cachesize 0 15000000 1
set_lg_bsize 2097152
"
>/var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG

# slapadd < ldap.ldif (before created by slacat > ldap.ldif)
# /etc/init.d/ldap start

That seems ok but at the reboot the same error repeats itself.

Thanks for your help.
Lambert JEANNOU

Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Lambert JEANNOU

*Hello.

I think, i make a mistake. For a slapcat output* theses 2 lines :

unclean shutdown detected; attempting recovery.

*recovery skipped in read-only mode. Run manual recovery if errors
are encountered.

are not an error !

Simply* it's because the slapd is running. If i do an ldapadd with
good arguments and ldif file, I have a good adding in my ldap.

So my bdb is not in read only !

Thanks.

L. J.

*