Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Mark Goldshtein

Default Squeeze. nVidia video. How to change brightness with functional (Fn) keys?

Hello, list!

Lenovo Y450-3M laptop with:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce
GT 240M] (rev a2)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 38fd
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Would you, please, to explain how to configure a system or edit
configuration files in order to bring laptop brightness funktional
keys (Fn+key) to thier normal work? It is impossible to adjust
brightness pressing Fn+UpArrow and Fn+DownArrow keys. The symbol of
brightness is displaying well, but no adjust actually happen.

Googling left me unsure about what I have to do to correct this issue.
There are mostly comments from Ubuntu users. I know Ubuntu is Debian
based but need to be understanding what I am doing with my system. If
you have a little time, please, help.

Thanks in advance!

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Mike Viau

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:49:47 +0400 <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, list!
>
> Lenovo Y450-3M laptop with:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce
> GT 240M] (rev a2)
> Subsystem: Lenovo Device 38fd
> Kernel driver in use: nvidia
>
> Would you, please, to explain how to configure a system or edit
> configuration files in order to bring laptop brightness funktional
> keys (Fn+key) to thier normal work? It is impossible to adjust
> brightness pressing Fn+UpArrow and Fn+DownArrow keys. The symbol of
> brightness is displaying well, but no adjust actually happen.
>
> Googling left me unsure about what I have to do to correct this issue.
> There are mostly comments from Ubuntu users. I know Ubuntu is Debian
> based but need to be understanding what I am doing with my system. If
> you have a little time, please, help.
>
> Thanks in advance!

On my Lenovo laptop with NVIDIA video, I find Fn+home and Fn+End work to control the LCD brightness on a stock installation of Squeeze so maybe you could give that a try?

I am running the GNOME DE. To save power while on battery, you may wish to install the laptop-mode-tools package as well.

-M

Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:

>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:49:47 +0400 <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, list!
>>
>> Lenovo Y450-3M laptop with:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce
>> GT 240M] (rev a2)
>> Subsystem: Lenovo Device 38fd
>> Kernel driver in use: nvidia
>>
>> Would you, please, to explain how to configure a system or edit
>> configuration files in order to bring laptop brightness funktional
>> keys (Fn+key) to thier normal work? It is impossible to adjust
>> brightness pressing Fn+UpArrow and Fn+DownArrow keys. The symbol of
>> brightness is displaying well, but no adjust actually happen.
>>
>> Googling left me unsure about what I have to do to correct this issue.
>> There are mostly comments from Ubuntu users. I know Ubuntu is Debian
>> based but need to be understanding what I am doing with my system. If
>> you have a little time, please, help.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> On my Lenovo laptop with NVIDIA video, I find Fn+home and Fn+End work to control the LCD brightness on a stock installation of Squeeze so maybe you could give that a try?

Thanks, but no effect with these keys at all.

> I am running the GNOME DE. To save power while on battery, you may wish to install the laptop-mode-tools package as well.

As I may see, power saving features are working already. Laptop mode
tools are not installed. Probably, there is something which controls
these functions already? I mean, CPU governor, what to do if lid is
closing, display dimmer, suspend, hibernate and so on.

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM