Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Veronica Brandt

Default Card reader stopped working after update

Hi,

I have an acer aspire one and use the card reader for /home/.* I updated the computer Saturday (squeeze) and now booting the computer the card reader is not recognised.

I have a bug here and I don't know which package is to blame.* My first thought was the kernel, but the kernel is the same.* Something else is fouling up the modules.* I'm running* 2.6.32-3-686 and tried updating to 2.6.32-5-686, but the problem is still the same.

lspci:

04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller
04:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller
04:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller

04:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. xD Host Controller

lsmod | grep sd and then mmc:

sd_mod**************** 25869* 2
crc_t10dif************* 1012* 1 sd_mod
scsi_mod************* 101401* 2 sd_mod,libata

mmc_core************** 38491* 0

and the error message in dmesg:

[*** 3.811446] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_remove_host
[*** 3.937701] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_suspend_host
[*** 3.938338] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_free_host

[*** 3.938652] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_add_host
[*** 3.939065] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_resume_host
[*** 3.939440] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_alloc_host
[*** 3.939927] sdhci_pci: Unknown symbol sdhci_remove_host

> sudo modprobe sdhci
sh: Syntax error: Bad for loop variable
FATAL: Error running install command for sdhci

modprobe sdricoh_cs gives no error but makes no difference

So does anyone else have a lead I can chase up?

Thanks

Veronica
--
brandt.id.au

Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Veronica Brandt

Further investigations show the sd card is not working anymore either.* Could a power outage cause damage like that?* Leaving it on battery power till it goes flat?* Could that fry both the card reader and the card?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:47:39 +1000
Veronica Brandt <veroicon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Further investigations show the sd card is not working anymore either.
> Could a power outage cause damage like that? Leaving it on battery
> power till it goes flat? Could that fry both the card reader and the
> card?

A dead battery ? Very doubtful.

It's almost certainly no coincidence that the card reader and card died
at the same (?) time, assuming thath you're _sure_ the SD Card itself is
dead.

A problem with voltage regulation, i.e. a hardware problem, could do
both, killing the reader and the card. It's possible that the supply
to the reader is isolated, otherwise I would expect something else on
the laptop would also be damaged/not working.

As I said, it is possible it's on an isolated regulator and if that
regulator failed it would dave hooked up the card reader to the battery
directly killing the reader and the card.

That still seems quite unlikely, but it is possible.

Do you have a voltmeter ?

Brian

Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Veronica Brandt

Thanks Brian,

My husband couldn't get the case off to check inside, but looking in the slot one of the pins looks bent.* I have 4 small boys so it is possible someone has been poking around, though the sd card lives in that slot permanently so they would have had to get it out first.

> Further investigations show the sd card is not working anymore either.

> Could a power outage cause damage like that? *Leaving it on battery

> power till it goes flat? *Could that fry both the card reader and the

> card?

A dead battery ? Very doubtful.

It's almost certainly no coincidence that the card reader and card died

at the same (?) time, assuming thath you're _sure_ the SD Card itself is

dead.

I've tried the dead SD card in other readers too and the only glimmer of life was from a windows machine offering to reformat it for me.* On my linux machine I tried ddrescue and testdisk on the sd card and neither of them could see the card.* I haven't tried reformatting it yet - I tried putting it in the freezer but still nothing.* And my last back up was about this time last year (mea culpa, mea culpa...)

*
A problem with voltage regulation, i.e. a hardware problem, could do

both, killing the reader and the card. *It's possible that the supply

to the reader is isolated, otherwise I would expect something else on

the laptop would also be damaged/not working.

As I said, it is possible it's on an isolated regulator and if that

regulator failed it would dave hooked up the card reader to the battery

directly killing the reader and the card.

That still seems quite unlikely, but it is possible.

Do you have a voltmeter ?

My husband is the handy one and he keeps my voltmeter somewhere, but trying last night he couldn't get the case off, I'll need to google see if there are any instructions for such things.

*

Brian