Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Hal Vaughan

Default Can't Install Packages in Batch Mode

I have a bash script with the following in it:

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
apt-get install $install

From what I've read, this should set the front end for debconf to non-interactive and should go on ahead with the install I've set up with a list of packages to install. Everything else in the script works, but as much as I've played with this (like changing DEBIAN_FRONTEND to DEBCONF_FRONTEND), I can't get it to work. I saw one example (from this list, 2-3 years ago) that put it all on one line, but that didn't work either.

Do I have to set the environment variable before running the script? What do I need to do to be able to install packages? (There's only one question asked in all these packages and it's a config issue I handle separately anyway.)

Thanks for any help with this!

Hal

Old 09-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Hal Vaughan

On Sep 26, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> I have a bash script with the following in it:
>
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
> apt-get install $install
>
>> From what I've read, this should set the front end for debconf to non-interactive and should go on ahead with the install I've set up with a list of packages to install. Everything else in the script works, but as much as I've played with this (like changing DEBIAN_FRONTEND to DEBCONF_FRONTEND), I can't get it to work. I saw one example (from this list, 2-3 years ago) that put it all on one line, but that didn't work either.
>
> Do I have to set the environment variable before running the script? What do I need to do to be able to install packages? (There's only one question asked in all these packages and it's a config issue I handle separately anyway.)
>

> Thanks for any help with this!

I have no idea what made the difference, but I re-typed the lines and re-tried and it worked. I had copied the lines (other than the $install variable) directly from an example. When it didn't work, I tried cutting and pasting from another example and it didn't work, but when I entered it by typing directly, it worked.

Probably a typo that I couldn't catch with my learning disability or something.

Hal