FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 PM
"Manu Krishnan T.V"
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

Hi,



I was using Squeeze for a while and recently updated my Kernel to
2.6.32-5. Since then, the graphics won't start. The system is
working fine with the older kernel.

The Xorg log shows the following error when using the new kernal.



(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics
Chipsets: i810,

*** i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G,
915G,

*** E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM,
Pineview G,

*** 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33,
GM45,

*** 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale,
Arrandale,

*** Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
Sandybridge,

*** Sandybridge, Sandybridge

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0

(EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.

(II) UnloadModule: "intel"

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.



Fatal server error:

no screens found


Can someone help me to get out of this?

The complete log and dmesg are at
http://aeneous.coolwrks.com/tvm/log-20100926/



Thanks in advance,

--

Regards,

Tvm a.k.a Bizzard
 
Old 09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Axel Freyn
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

Hi,
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:35:51PM +0530, Manu Krishnan T.V wrote:
> I was using Squeeze for a while and recently updated my Kernel to
> 2.6.32-5. Since then, the graphics won't start. The system is working
> fine with the older kernel.
> The Xorg log shows the following error when using the new kernal.
>
> [...]
> (EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
> [...]
Based on this error message, I would assume: The driver needs
Kernel-based Modesetting to be enabled, however it is disabled in the
new kernel.
If that is the case, I think you have to actived it in the kernel... (or
maybe there is a way how you can switch it off completely in the
X11-driver?)

Axel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100926183455.GO19531@axel">http://lists.debian.org/20100926183455.GO19531@axel
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:05:51 -0400 (EDT), Manu Krishnan T.V wrote:
>
> I was using Squeeze for a while and recently updated my Kernel to
> 2.6.32-5. Since then, the graphics won't start. The system is working
> fine with the older kernel.
> The Xorg log shows the following error when using the new kernal.
>
> (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
> i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
> E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
> 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
> 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
> Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
> Sandybridge, Sandybridge
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
> (EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
> (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> Can someone help me to get out of this?
> The complete log and dmesg are at
> http://aeneous.coolwrks.com/tvm/log-20100926/

Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
Look at the contents of that file. Does it say

options i915 modeset=0

If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 440910403.287935.1285548707729.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/440910403.287935.1285548707729.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com
 
Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Virgo Pärna
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:51:47 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>
> Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
> Look at the contents of that file. Does it say
>
> options i915 modeset=0
>
> If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
> If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.
>

I hope, that this works for him, but just in case. I had different problem - after upgrading to
squeeze X would freeze the whole computer in startup without X startup log (also Intel graphics).
Modeset support was enabled, but changing it didn't seem to have any effect. I got it working with
Vesa driver and later by building 2.6.32.22 kernel. But then that one didn't work for video playback,
so I upgraded to 2.6.33.7. It seems, that 2.6.32 lines has some major problems with integrateed
Intel graphics - at least with some of them. Just as a word of warning - if any of those problems
should appear.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrnia0mjg.gts.virgo.parna@dragon.gaiasoft.ee">htt p://lists.debian.org/slrnia0mjg.gts.virgo.parna@dragon.gaiasoft.ee
 
Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM
rudu
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

Le 27/09/2010 10:48, Virgo Pärna a écrit :


On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:51:47 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell<zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:


Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
Look at the contents of that file. Does it say

options i915 modeset=0

If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.



I hope, that this works for him, but just in case. I had different problem - after upgrading to
squeeze X would freeze the whole computer in startup without X startup log (also Intel graphics).
Modeset support was enabled, but changing it didn't seem to have any effect. I got it working with
Vesa driver and later by building 2.6.32.22 kernel. But then that one didn't work for video playback,
so I upgraded to 2.6.33.7. It seems, that 2.6.32 lines has some major problems with integrateed
Intel graphics - at least with some of them. Just as a word of warning - if any of those problems
should appear.



+1
I have a Dell inspiron 510m running squeeze.
Same thing here since the last linux-image-2.6.32.5-i686 upgrade ...
From memory my Xorg.0.log complained about missing modules, one of them
being related to my GAlps/touchpad something ... (sorry for the lack of
precision, I'm away from my laptop now).

I think the KMS problem was also there.

I'll stay tuned to that thread, thanks.

Jean-Marc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4CA098BB.7020002@cegetel.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CA098BB.7020002@cegetel.net
 
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
"Manu Krishnan T.V"
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Monday 27 September 2010 06:21 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:05:51 -0400 (EDT), Manu Krishnan T.V wrote:


I was using Squeeze for a while and recently updated my Kernel to
2.6.32-5. Since then, the graphics won't start. The system is working
fine with the older kernel.
The Xorg log shows the following error when using the new kernal.

(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0
(EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Can someone help me to get out of this?
The complete log and dmesg are at
http://aeneous.coolwrks.com/tvm/log-20100926/


Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
Look at the contents of that file. Does it say

options i915 modeset=0

If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.


It is already set to "1".



Any other possibilities? Or shall I downgrade the kernel?

--

Regards,

Tvm a.k.a Bizzard
 
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:27:33 -0400 (EDT), Manu Krishnan T.V wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2010 06:21 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
>> Look at the contents of that file. Does it say
>>
>> options i915 modeset=0
>>
>> If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
>> If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.
>
> It is already set to "1".
>
> Any other possibilities? Or shall I downgrade the kernel?

Hmm. Well, it works for me using the same kernel (linux-image-2.6.32-5-686,
version 2.6.32-23) and, presumably, the same video driver
(xserver-xorg-video-intel, 2:2.9.1-4). The only difference is the chipset.
Mine is 915G. Yours is 845G. Does /var/log/syslog provide any useful
clues that are not in the output of dmesg? What does the output of

lsmod

look like? What happens if you set modeset to 0 for the i915 module?
(Maybe i915 isn't even being used. Output of lsmod will tell you that.)

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1711556943.306810.1285612380894.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1711556943.306810.1285612380894.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Sven Joachim
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On 2010-09-27 20:33 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:27:33 -0400 (EDT), Manu Krishnan T.V wrote:
>> On Monday 27 September 2010 06:21 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> Look in directory /etc/modprobe.d for a file called i915-kms.conf.
>>> Look at the contents of that file. Does it say
>>>
>>> options i915 modeset=0
>>>
>>> If so, change the 0 to 1 and file it, then shutdown and reboot.
>>> If no such file exists, then create it, specifying modeset as 1.
>>
>> It is already set to "1".
>>
>> Any other possibilities? Or shall I downgrade the kernel?
>
> Hmm. Well, it works for me using the same kernel (linux-image-2.6.32-5-686,
> version 2.6.32-23) and, presumably, the same video driver
> (xserver-xorg-video-intel, 2:2.9.1-4). The only difference is the chipset.
> Mine is 915G. Yours is 845G.

On which KMS is currently disabled in Debian Kernels:

,----
| linux-2.6 (2.6.32-21) unstable; urgency=high
|
| [ Ben Hutchings ]
| * [...]
| * [x86] i915: Blacklist i830, i845, i855 for KMS
| (Closes: #568207, #582105, #593432, #593507)
`----

And it looks to me as if Manu is using a newer version of
xserver-xorg-video-intel that actually requires KMS. The next upload of
linux-2.6 to unstable should re-enable KMS on the i8xx chipsets¹.

Sven


¹ http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/dists/sid/?rev=16343&sc=1


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 877hi7ui0v.fsf@turtle.gmx.de">http://lists.debian.org/877hi7ui0v.fsf@turtle.gmx.de
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Virgo Pärna
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:48:46 +0000 (UTC), Virgo Pärna <virgo.parna@mail.ee> wrote:
>
> I hope, that this works for him, but just in case. I had different problem - after upgrading to
> squeeze X would freeze the whole computer in startup without X startup log (also Intel graphics).
> Modeset support was enabled, but changing it didn't seem to have any effect. I got it working with
> Vesa driver and later by building 2.6.32.22 kernel. But then that one didn't work for video playback,
> so I upgraded to 2.6.33.7. It seems, that 2.6.32 lines has some major problems with integrateed
>

Since the specific model of video hardware seems to be importent on the nature of problem, I have:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

I haven't tried 2.6.32.23 - maybe the video playback issue is fixed there, but since 2.6.33.7
works for me fine, I probably will not even try. Anyway, the problem was, that Xv was not supported -
as a result full screen video playback was awfully slow. And vlc had corrupted video output (entire
video was squeezed into column about 4-5 times thinner then it should have been).

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrnia1rc7.gts.virgo.parna@dragon.gaiasoft.ee">htt p://lists.debian.org/slrnia1rc7.gts.virgo.parna@dragon.gaiasoft.ee
 
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Xorg error with 2.6.32-5 kernel

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:02:24 -0400 (EDT), Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-09-27 20:33 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Hmm. Well, it works for me using the same kernel (linux-image-2.6.32-5-686,
>> version 2.6.32-23) and, presumably, the same video driver
>> (xserver-xorg-video-intel, 2:2.9.1-4). The only difference is the chipset.
>> Mine is 915G. Yours is 845G.
>
> On which KMS is currently disabled in Debian Kernels:
>
> ,----
> | linux-2.6 (2.6.32-21) unstable; urgency=high
> |
> | [ Ben Hutchings ]
> | * [...]
> | * [x86] i915: Blacklist i830, i845, i855 for KMS
> | (Closes: #568207, #582105, #593432, #593507)
> `----
>

Good eye, Sven!
>
> And it looks to me as if Manu is using a newer version of
> xserver-xorg-video-intel that actually requires KMS.

That may depend on the chipset too. Some chipsets may require KMS to be
on, some may require that it be off, and some may offer a choice, as i915
currently does. But eventually, KMS will be required for everything. :-(

> The next upload of
> linux-2.6 to unstable should re-enable KMS on the i8xx chipsets¹.

Well, I don't know if the next kernel revision will fix the problem or not,
but it looks like we won't have to wait long to find out. It appears that
Ben Hutchings is planning a new kernel upload (to unstable, I assume) within
the next couple of days:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2010/09/msg00716.html

In the meantime, perhaps the OP should consider using the vesa driver,
if it will work for his situation, until the new kernel is uploaded and
can be evaluated.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1605810110.309436.1285616867716.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1605810110.309436.1285616867716.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org