Old 09-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Greg Heilers

Default Netbook Potential

Can anyone provide any opinions about the following contraption?:
http://www.eglobalwireless.com/p-4333-new-7-mini-netbook-laptop-notebook-wifi-windows-black.aspx

Has it any Linux potential? At this retail, it is almost disposable.

Thanks

--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317

For two incredible email programs:
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
http://www.mutt.org

[while July Johnson helped Gus McCrae attack the bandits' camp, July's friends were
murdered by Blue Duck]

July Johnson: It was my fault! Hell, you told me to stay.

Gus McCrae: I know I did, son. And I'm sure you wished you had. But yesterday's gone,
we can't get it back. Now you go on with your digging.

-- Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove"

Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Angus Hedger

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:34:01 -0500
Greg Heilers <heilers.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone provide any opinions about the following contraption?:
> http://www.eglobalwireless.com/p-4333-new-7-mini-netbook-laptop-notebook-wifi-windows-black.aspx
>
> Has it any Linux potential? At this retail, it is almost disposable.

Its ARM based and comes with windows CE, people seem to have managed to
get linux onto it [1]

But, as these kind of devices generally have no (normal and able
to boot from USB) BIOS, and just load the OS right from ROM they can be
horrid to get alternative OS's on.

There are quite a few different ones around, if you can find one that
is already running some kind of Linux, getting debian on there wouldn’t
be so hard

> Thanks

<snippy>

[1]http://devio.us/~nextvolume/via_arm/viewtopic.php?id=4&t_id=41

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:34:01 -0500, Greg Heilers wrote:

> Can anyone provide any opinions about the following contraption?:
> http://www.eglobalwireless.com/p-4333-new-7-mini-netbook-laptop-
notebook-wifi-windows-black.aspx

> Has it any Linux potential? At this retail, it is almost disposable.

There is a long thread about this arm based netbook (I think is the same
model) you may find interesting:

Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Angus Hedger

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:34:01 -0500
Greg Heilers <heilers.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone provide any opinions about the following contraption?:
> http://www.eglobalwireless.com/p-4333-new-7-mini-netbook-laptop-notebook-wifi-windows-black.aspx

> Has it any Linux potential? At this retail, it is almost disposable.

Sorry for the double post, but i found this [1] which seems to be a
linux distro aimed at the cpu in that smartbook/notebook/somethingbook

[1]http://projectgus.com/files/abrasive_mirror/wm8505_linux/

------