Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Willy Lambert

Default Squeeze NetInstal broke on Ethernet controller detection

Hi all,

I am quite new with using community supports so please be patient and
let me learn if something is wrong. Be sure that I search a week on the
net to find a solution. I'm
desesperated

summary :

I am trying to install a Debian "Squeeze" distribution with a
netinstall on a CD media but the installation failed when detected the
ethernet card (despite it should work with the e1000e driver which is
included in Debian). It tried to go further without LAN, but seems to be
an infite chain of problems : if I want to compile the driver I need to
"apt-get" build tools for which I need Internet... So my strategy is to
make the installer working.

hardware :

The target is an Advantech PCM-3362 card (quite the same content as a netbook without the wifi in a PC104 size)

http://www.advantech.com.tw/products/PCM-3362/mod_2B69DA4C-D506-4AEA-8CC3-F6E58E3CBC87.aspx

the aim is to embedded it in a mobile robot.

Its Ethernet controller is an Intel 82567V, which should be working with an e1000e driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15817&ProdId=3003&l ang=eng

You can find here a detailed article about the Advantech board, in particular its bus and component architecture at the end :

http://ruggedpcreview.com/3_components_advantech_pcm3362.html

lspci shows :

00:19.0 Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82567V-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)

00.1e.0 PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f4)

and other things

details :

The installer broke when detecting the ethernet controller. I have a
menu in which I can choose "e1000e" (and also "e100" "e1000"). when I
choose it, the screen became blue, things happens (see below) and then
the menu is back again as if it has not found my controller

In the the fourth console (ctrl+f4=installer log) I can read after hiting "e1000e" in the menu when "things happens":

_ ${date} kernel [$[time]] e1000e : Intel (R) PRO/1000 Network Driver -0.3.3.4-k4

_ ${date} kernel [$[time]] e1000e : Copyrigth (c) 1999-20008 Intel Corporation

_ ethdetect : insmod /lib/modules/2.6.30-2-484/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko

when I test in the installer console (ctrl+f2 or ctrl+f3) lsmod, I
found the e1000e module (it was not here before I choose it in the
ethernet detection menu). So everything seems to be correct.

I used an i386 version of debian whereas my CPU is an Atom 64b, I don't know if this is problematic

help :

So anyone could help me finding why this menu don't want to select my controller ?

thanks in advance for your attention

Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:57:46 +0200, Willy Lambert wrote:

> I am trying to install a Debian "Squeeze" distribution with a netinstall
> on a CD media but the installation failed when detected the ethernet
> card (despite it should work with the e1000e driver which is included in
> Debian). It tried to go further without LAN, but seems to be an infite
> chain of problems : if I want to compile the driver I need to "apt-get"
> build tools for which I need Internet... So my strategy is to make the
> installer working.

(...)

What netinstall ISO file are you using?

Greetings,