Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Aniruddha

Default A question about mixing releases

I use apt-pinning to mix stable, testing and sid. because of a bug in
Squeeze I've installed fglrx-modules-dkms from sid. Today I got an
update for my fglrx packages I noticed these were pulled in from a sid
repository. My question is the following: if you install a package
from an unstable repository does it mean that apt/aptitude then tracks
unstable updates for that package? And is it possible to prevent a
specific package version from being updated (like package.mask in
Gentoo)? Thanks in advance

Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Alexander Batischev

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:20:43AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> I use apt-pinning to mix stable, testing and sid. because of a bug in
> Squeeze I've installed fglrx-modules-dkms from sid. Today I got an
> update for my fglrx packages I noticed these were pulled in from a sid
> repository. My question is the following: if you install a package
> from an unstable repository does it mean that apt/aptitude then tracks
> unstable updates for that package?
Package may be upgraded only if there's one with a bigger version number. If
you have package from sid, the newer may appear only in sid. That is, aptitude
tracks all the repos and would upgrade wrom that one where is the newest
package - in your situation it would mean 'from sid'.

> And is it possible to prevent a
> specific package version from being updated (like package.mask in
> Gentoo)? Thanks in advance
Yes, that's called 'hold'. Just run
# aptitude hold package
and package would never ever be updated unless you unhold it with
# aptitude unhold package

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81

Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-26 11:20 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:

> I use apt-pinning to mix stable, testing and sid. because of a bug in
> Squeeze I've installed fglrx-modules-dkms from sid. Today I got an
> update for my fglrx packages I noticed these were pulled in from a sid
> repository. My question is the following: if you install a package
> from an unstable repository does it mean that apt/aptitude then tracks
> unstable updates for that package?

That depends on the Pin-Priority you use for it, see
apt_preferences(5). Could you show your /etc/apt/preferences file?

> And is it possible to prevent a specific package version from being
> updated (like package.mask in Gentoo)?

If you _only_ use aptitude, "aptitude hold <package>" works¹.
Unfortunately this is ignored by apt-get, you can use
"echo <package> hold" | dpkg --set-selections".

Sven

¹ This is not totally reliable with lenny's aptitude, but squeeze's
aptitude should always respect it.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Aniruddha

Thanks for the help. I thought dpkg --set-selections doesn't' work
with package versions. My apt/preferences file:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-09-26 12:58 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I thought dpkg --set-selections doesn't' work
> with package versions. My apt/preferences file:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 650
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 600

Thanks, with this Pin-Priority packages that you install from unstable
will be updated automatically from there as long as they don't migrate
to testing. This is probably what you want, but if you would like to
avoid it, you could set unstable's Pin-Priority to a value < 100 (100 is
the priority of installed versions).

Sven

Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Aniruddha

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> Thanks, with this Pin-Priority packages that you install from unstable
> will be updated automatically from there as long as they don't migrate
> to testing. *This is probably what you want, but if you would like to
> avoid it, you could set unstable's Pin-Priority to a value < 100 (100 is
> the priority of installed versions).

Thanks for the help!